Number plate light unit help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number plate light unit help

As some of you had previously seen i was having some trouble with the number plate bulbs and i have now spent a couple of days exploring the options and wanted someone with some actual knowledge to help as i have now used all mine up!

First try was changing the bulbs - i have been through two different sets of LED bulbs and neither have worked although for a short time one bulb flashed. i have tried turning the bulbs to get a better connection and also exposing the small wires a bit but again neither of these helped.

Then tried some more standard halogen bulbs like what had come out of the car originally but again nothing worked.

I hooked up the bulb holder to a meter to check the voltage going to it which showed up weird. one moment it was 1v then the next it would jump to 12v and visa versa.

So now im stuck, i dont know if this is something that is likely to be a wiring problem as i know these lights arent on a fuse or if i could change the whole light unit for something like these; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-LED-Lice...8AAOSw~OVWtxYD

any input on this would be greatly appreciated as i have popped to a Citroen dealarship and they want £149 + VAT just to run a diagnostic.

The stock units are like 8 pounds - the discount on that site that WTF just posted
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

yeah i have just seen these thanks. do you know if it particularly hard changing these at all? and if this could potentially resolve the problem?

Comment

They are fairly easy to change, it's just a case of carefully pry out the holder with a flathead as you would to change the bulb, and then disconnect. Getting them disconnected is a pain in the arse though. They're just so tough to get apart.

I would probably recommend checking the connection before you go out and buy new holders but still.
        @mike_lowsocial

Comment

easer to change the unit than the bulb in the unit. Fix the problem no idea, but it is easy to break the unit when changing the bulb.

Beat me to it. I'm too slow
          Originally posted by cyclone
          It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
          Originally posted by Broda
          I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by mjogreen View Post
            They are fairly easy to change, it's just a case of carefully pry out the holder with a flathead as you would to change the bulb, and then disconnect. Getting them disconnected is a pain in the arse though. They're just so tough to get apart.

I would probably recommend checking the connection before you go out and buy new holders but still.
            okay thanks, i have tried to look at the connection, doesnt seem to be broken going into the light unit and i have looked around for the wires which also seem to be un damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
              easer to change the unit than the bulb in the unit. Fix the problem no idea, but it is easy to break the unit when changing the bulb.
              yeah the bulbs were a pain, i will order in the units and see where that gets me. if nothing else it eliminates another option that helps when taking it in to the dealer i guess

Comment

I have changed the bulbs several times and it gets easier. You just have to get the entire unit out first then the clear cover and the bulb. The contacts seem to be too loose so have to pry them closer so the bulb sits nice and snug. Might be the reason of the OP's connection problems.

Comment

Working...
                X