wheel bolt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidDS3 View Post
    I might be being thick here, but are we saying we cannot use the alloy wheel bolts to secure the spare wheel? I have just referred to the handbook and have read this: "Fitting the "space-saver" type spare wheel
    If your vehicle is fitted with alloy wheels, it is normal to notice, when tightening the bolts on fitting, that the washers do not come into contact with the "space-saver" type spare wheel. The wheel is secured by the conical contact of each bolt"
    But I think you will find that it is stated that you should only drive a certain amount of miles
    DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
    Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Originally posted by Gazski66 View Post
      But I think you will find that it is stated that you should only drive a certain amount of miles
      And below a certain speed. With an ity bitty skinny tire that you are going to drive very carefully when fitted It is not expected that you drive every day in a normal care free manor with your regular tires.
      Originally posted by cyclone
      It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
      Originally posted by Broda
      I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

As I understand it, the wheel bolts are dual purpose. They have a washer which is clamped up against the face of an alloy wheel to secure it. They also have a tapered face, redundant when used with an alloy, but which comes into contact with the tapered edge of the bolt hole in a steel wheel. In the latter case, the washer is redundant, and remains loose on the bolt. As explained in the handbook, is is normal for the washers to be loose when the steel space saver is fitted.

It is true that one should limit one's speed when a space saver is fitted, but that isn't because the wheel is fitted any less securely (which it isn't). The reason is that driving with different width tyres on the same axle is less than ideal and the high speed cornering and road holding abilities of the car will be compromised.

I don't know whether the fitting of ordinary steel wheel (eg from a DSign) would be any different but I would be very surprised if it is. I would expect there to be no issue with using the same wheel bolts and having the washers loose, as above. The speed limiting thing obviously doesn't apply though, when all four wheels / tyres are the same. I suppose you could even fit four space savers if you were so inclined - even then (AFAIK) the speed restriction wouldn't apply (unless the space saver's tyre is rated at a much lower speed that normal?)

...but I could be wrong!
        Shark grey / white Vti 120 DStyle ordered 2 March 2013, built 23 March 2013, collected 20 April 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Sash View Post
          If you want them to undo on their own, yes!
          Checked a few other vehicle forums, and several say that to stop corrosion, and help removal of bolts, a smear of grease is fine
          Would guess the bolt is pretty tight when on, so theres no chance of it loosening
          Think the wheel would wobble a fair bit first LOL
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

I've noticed that with the bellones (that have the washer type bolts) the bolts loosen up pretty fast on their own - especially the locking bolt (citroen original). I've tightened them to 110 Nm so plenty of torque. I know that with alloys you have to post tighten the bolts after 200 km or so but this seems that you have to tighten them every 1000 km or so. Winter alloys have the normal kind of bolts (conical). These have never loosened on their own.

Comment

The bolts must be tapered bolts on a steel wheel
              Do not use your alloy bolts on a steel wheel. Buy new tapered ones. I got mine from eBay
              ChrisRs Detailing, Bingley, West Yorks
              eMail: chrisrsdetailing@outlook.com

2014 Citroen DS4 DSport 160 Hdi, Whisper Purple

Comment

Originally posted by robbo51 View Post
                The bolts must be tapered bolts on a steel wheel
                Do not use your alloy bolts on a steel wheel. Buy new tapered ones. I got mine from eBay
                See mine above. The standard bolts are tapered and can safely be used with either a steel wheel (eg the space saver spare) or an alloy.

No doubt Bigfeet or another knowledgeable person can confirm?
                Shark grey / white Vti 120 DStyle ordered 2 March 2013, built 23 March 2013, collected 20 April 2013

Comment

Can be safely used on your space saver spare tire, that is why that taper is there. Not designed for the stresses of everyday use on normal steel wheels with normal sized tires . The taper an a normal conical bolt is in the neighborhood of 0.5 inches. The Citroen wheel bolt, Which is again designed for use on the space saver spare, the tapered area is only 0.2 At less than half of a normal bolt I think that that number speaks for itself.
                  Last edited by cyclone; 19-11-2013, 13:57.
                  Originally posted by cyclone
                  It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                  Originally posted by Broda
                  I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    See mine above. The standard bolts are tapered and can safely be used with either a steel wheel (eg the space saver spare) or an alloy.

No doubt Bigfeet or another knowledgeable person can confirm?
                    Fine if thats the case BUT Citroen told me that a different Bolt must be used on Steel Wheels when I inquired ( the type I mentioned..tapered NOT the OEM alloy bolt)
                    ChrisRs Detailing, Bingley, West Yorks
                    eMail: chrisrsdetailing@outlook.com

2014 Citroen DS4 DSport 160 Hdi, Whisper Purple

Comment

Had wheels balanced today with new tyres on- anyone know if it matters the wheels are swapped around the car at some stage?
                      Would it affect the balance- don't think it does but wanted to check

This time I checked the bolts before I left, and it also says on the receipt that they torque the wheels manually. That's good. They were fine.

Didn't want to create a new post, so thought this thread was next best thing to ask
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

If the wheels are all balanced and don't lose any weights you'll be fine to swap them Chris, the tyre dealer will balance them on their machine off the car so there is no issue
                        sigpic

Comment

Cheers lfc
                          Learnt today that when you swap tyres on a wheel, invariably they need rebalancing because of the different tyre
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Yeah I agree with that, sorry I thought you meant swapping the wheels (with tyres) around the car
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                              Can be safely used on your space saver spare tire, that is why that taper is there. Not designed for the stresses of everyday use on normal steel wheels with normal sized tires . The taper an a normal conical bolt is in the neighborhood of 0.5 inches. The Citroen wheel bolt, Which is again designed for use on the space saver spare, the tapered area is only 0.2 At less than half of a normal bolt I think that that number speaks for itself.
                              Originally posted by robbo51 View Post
                              Fine if thats the case BUT Citroen told me that a different Bolt must be used on Steel Wheels when I inquired ( the type I mentioned..tapered NOT the OEM alloy bolt)
                              Ahh. I see. That makes sense (and far be it from me to contradict advice on safety matters from Citroen!!)

:redface:

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                                Yeah I agree with that, sorry I thought you meant swapping the wheels (with tyres) around the car
                                I did mean that too LOL
                                sigpic
                                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                                X