Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DStyle 1.6 BlueHDi Diesel | Engine Light and Limp Mode

Hey guys,

New to this forum and looking for some advice.

I've got a DS3 DStyle 1.6 BlueHDi Diesel and over the last month the engine light has come on no less than 5 times. The screen shows the warning "Engine Fault. Have the vehicle repaired" and switches on the Check Engine light and the SERVICE light. The car then shuts down certain features - most noticeably eco mode, cruise control, and there's a clear performance limit with a threshold somewhere between 2-2.5k revs - I assume this is limp mode.

The first time it happened, it happened during a long-ish journey (around 1.5 hours, but the second half of the journey was through country lanes with a lot of changing up and down through the gears). Since then, each time the engine light has come on, it's been at the very start of a journey and it happens when I'm going up through the gears for the first time in the journey.

Curiously, I've now deciphered that if I restart the car 3 times, on the 4th restart the fault will clear. Odd. I do a fair bit of driving, and on one of the occasions after I used my little trick to clear the fault, I actually drove from Cardiff to Bristol and back, and then from Cardiff to Swansea and back, before the fault reappeared on the next journey.

It can go over a week without the fault showing up. Or the closest I had the fault show up was 3 days after I'd cleared it.

So I was wondering:
    • Anyone experienced this particular fault before and have any tips?
    • Anyone have a diagnostics tool around the Cardiff area that I could check for fault codes with? Cheeky, I know, but worth asking I guess.
    I had an issue similar to this with my old Hyundai i30 diesel that would go into limp mode and sometimes cut the engine off altogether. I believe the issue turned out to be that some engine/fuel filters needed changing. Guess it could be something similar.
Working...
X