How to replace the 096AGM battery on later model DS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to replace the 096AGM battery on later model DS3

I have replaced my battery on my DS4 and the battery on my wifes 2016 DS3 1.2 Cabrio showed signs that it needed replacement. I had a look at it and its very different from the DS4 and also different from all the 'how to' videos and instructions I could find so here is a guide to how I did it that may help others.

Turn off, wind window down shut doors with bonnet open and allow car to fully shut down (15 mins or cup of tea) with ignition key removed. Remove push on clip at front of air intake and remove clip by sliding backwards and remove intake to give room.
    Two clips each side hold small cover covering electrical fittings on top of battery. Release and lift. Disconnect +ve battery terminal and with 10mm socket remove leads from electrical connections on top of battery. Electrical components on top of battery will slide back and can be pushed to one side. ECU on right hand side of battery can be pulled up and pushed away. Plastic battery case can be pulled up and forward to remove. 10mm bolt on right hand side of battery can be removed with long extension as can plate it held the battery in with. Release 10 mm nut on negative terminal and push cable to one side. Remove battery. Now working in reverse put new battery in. Finally connect +ve terminal and wait 10 seconds before turning on headlamps. Put key in ignition and start (don’t open door use wound down window). This is the BSI reset procedure. All is now done.

The battery is an 096 AGM type. I looked around and found an Exide battery with Eurocarparts at ?434 with discount came to ?260. Best price I found was at www.tayna.co.uk at ?98, ordered 2200 Saturdat and delivered 1000 Monday

Thanks you Ian.
    I just changed the battery on my early 2016 (new Model) DS3 THP-165, and i don't think id' have managed it without your instructions.
    I watched 3-4 youtube vid's, and although 1 or 2 of them were indicative, none of them were the same arrangement of ECU and "top-electronics" as you describe.

How can the changing of a consumable like a battery be made so difficult and require a Citroen dealer?
    The mind boggles.
    I'd already bought my replacement battery a few weeks ago when i started to suspect my battery was on its way out
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0053P1HKY - currently £101

A few additonal notes for anyone who tries to follows the instructions above - all credit to Ian though. My additions are in [square brackets]
    • Turn off [engine, leaving ignition on]
    • wind window down shut doors with bonnet open [turn of ignition] and allow car to fully shut down (15 mins or cup of tea) with ignition key removed.
    • Remove push on clip at front of air intake and remove clip by sliding backwards and remove intake to give room. [you will certainly need room!]
    • [on the top front of the battery cover there is a small flap/cover...] Two clips each side hold small cover covering electrical fittings on top of battery. Release and lift. [this was very tight on mine...] Disconnect +ve battery terminal [simple quick release latch] and with 10mm socket remove leads from electrical connections on top of battery [the ones under the flap... there was an additional plastic grommet i had to prise out on the RH one]. Electrical components on top of battery will slide back and can be pushed to one side [mine did not want to slide back. maybe i didn't push hard enough. i just left this in place while removing the battery cover - but i strongly recommend removing the two electrical connectors at the back of this small box of tricks if you cannot slide it out of the way.
    • ECU on right hand side of battery can be pulled up and pushed away. [probably the only easy thing about the job! - but lift hard to overcome the catch...]
    • Plastic battery case can be pulled up and forward to remove. [not too difficult if you've made enough space]
    • 10mm bolt on right hand side of battery can be removed with long extension [you'll need one at least as high as the battery] as can plate it held the battery in with [you do need to remove both bolt and plate].
    • Release 10 mm nut on negative terminal [why no quick release here?] and push cable to one side.
    • Remove battery. [this was quite hard, it's a very tight fit in the remainder of its case, you need to shuffle it slighly sideways into the void the plate was blocking, maybe backwards too - can't remember]
    • Now working in reverse put new battery in.
    • Finally connect +ve terminal and wait 10 seconds before turning on headlamps. Put key in ignition and start (don’t open door use wound down window). This is the BSI reset procedure. All is now done.

Comment

Well done Coasting - I am glad my post helped you to replace your battery and it is gfood to have someone look at and improve the intsructions I posted. I hope between us we have helped someone else.

Comment

Working...
      X