Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hickory mod thread.....

Hi...

In the spirit of contributing to the forum I thought id add abit of a thread about the changes ill be doing to our Hickory DS....nothing to OTT but may help others at some point...

Had the DS for 5 days and love it so far.....done 400 miles.....trip computer showing 53mpg.....tank to tank refill shows 52.....so pretty close....I did think the ride was very harsh....but after checking the tyre pressure the dealer idoits had put 42psi in them......

The day after pickup had 3M paint protection film fitted to the front end http://www.protectivecarfilm.co.uk/index.php?page=home......ill try and get some pictures when the sun comes out.....very happy with the finish.

Finally stopped raining so managed to get it washed...

Nothing to drastic at the minute...

De-tango front indicators with Silvertec bulbs.....I also went to do the rear indicators...but it would appear the rear lights already had silver indicator bulbs fitted.....is this normal..?

Changed the sidelight bulbs with MTEC units http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-xe...bs-sidelights/ I find they give off a far whiter light than any LEDs ive founnd so far.

Got a full front grill coming from ebay.....with the plan to CF wrap all the chrome. Its going to involve removing the front bumper which im not looking fwd to......but recon it will be well worth it.

Also planning to CF wrap the foglight surrounds and the rear number plate trim.....cannot decide if to paint the door rubbing strips or CF wrap them.

Ordered some new H7 bulbs for the dipped beam http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/prod...l.asp?prod=618 although they are 80w.....the wiring will easily take it as each dipped beam circuit is fused at 15A so thats 180w at 12v max peak current. Thats less than 50% capacity well within tolerance. Ive used these before on other cars and heat only increased 10% and they are safe for plastic headlight units as they are low UV output. Light output is reduced because of the blue coating which is why Ring made these 80w units...Ill post some picture before and after when they arrive.

A few boring bits.....I need a towbar...so got a removable coming. Good thing with the DS3 towbar fitting is you dont have to remove the bumper to fit.

Although I didnt think id miss them.....recon ill be fitting rear parking sensors.

I do plan on getting a true remap at some point...but for now I have a tuning box I removed from the Fiesta which wll work on the DS.....unlike most boxes which only alter the fuel rail pressure with one connection to the engine...this unit also alters the boost pressure by a second connector on the MAP sensor on the engine inlet ducting. I got very good results on the Fiesta and NEVER had any DPF problems as you can keep the fuel / boost ratio correct. Not fitted yet as im waiting for an extension lead for the fuel rail sensor....as its a total pain in the arse to get to and the cable makes it a 30 second job to remove and refit.

Ken
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kenny.c; 24-11-2012, 12:33.
    D-Sport 146.7ps HDi - Hickory - Pearlescent Dysentery
    MK7 Golf GTI - Performance Pack

Originally posted by kenny.c View Post
    but for now I have a tuning box I removed from the Fiesta which wll work on the DS
    Really ? Sounds Risky...

Comment

I have spoken to the guys who developed the tuning box at length about this and there is only minimal differance between the Fiesta and DS3 maps within the unit.....at worse I may feel a dead spot.....if so ill get it reflashed. Im keen to get a SP Tuning map.....but need to speak to the SP guys abit more before taking the plunge....ZACK....did I read that you are getting a DPF removal...? Is yours a 90 or 110.....last I heard SP hadnt done a DPF removal on a 110....

Ken

Comment

Youre certainly hitting the floor running Kenny
        Youre keeness to tune makes me wonder why you didnt go for petrol?
        When u say full grill- you mean fine wire mesh below reg plate holder?
        CBLUE
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

My reason for tuning is......why not as I might aswell get the best out of the car....and from previous diesel cars we have had it really does make driving it more relaxing and fun. We didnt buy a THP as we already have a VW Scirocco with 280bhp and need a diesel for the economy as the misses does alot of miles for work.

When I say grill....I mean the whole grill as in the picture....all chrome bits will the CF.....its just easier to take my time wrapping the bits on the cheap-o one off Ebay then swap the whole thing in one go.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kenny.c View Post
            Im keen to get a SP Tuning map.....but need to speak to the SP guys abit more before taking the plunge....ZACK....did I read that you are getting a DPF removal...? Is yours a 90 or 110.....last I heard SP hadnt done a DPF removal on a 110....
            Hi Ken,

Fully recommend Jamie @ SP Tuning / Burbage Motorsport, Had his map now on my car for 1 year and 4 days ( How's that for exact ! ) and it's been so much better than when I picked the car up stock.

Yeah I want Jamie to do my DPF - just trying to save up £££ lol and mine's the HDi 90

Comment

Progress has been abit slow due to work and the weather.....but managed to get new dipped beam bulbs fitted....happy with the increased light output. Ive been measuring temps of the light unit and havnt seen anything significant in temp increase.

My grill from Ebay arrived and after it putting up abit of a fight managed to get all the chrome off....

The 3M 1080 cf wrap only arrived yesterday.....so I should get chance to give that ago over the next few days

Ken
              Attached Files

Comment

Finally got some CF done today....went pretty well...takes quite abit of time though....

Might try and have ago with the main grill part tomorrow....looks like its going to be a challange

Ken
                Attached Files

Comment

Fitted rear parking sensors today.......bought from http://www.parkingsensors.co.uk/micr...ng_sensors.asp....really happy with the quality and there is some truth to "you get what you pay for" with parking sensors.....

There is a nice earthing point for power and the reverse feed to the rear light cluster is the white wire on the plug. Although there is a warning about connecting anything over 10mA...I really did struggle to measure even 5mA with the rear sensors alarming.....so im happy they are not going to cause a problem. Also inside the boot near to the plastic vent area there is a nice grommet to pass the sensor wires through....

Attached Files
                  Last edited by kenny.c; 15-12-2012, 15:00.

Comment

Works great and only cost £60.......next project is towbar...

Ken
                    Attached Files

Comment

Double post
                      Last edited by kenny.c; 03-01-2013, 19:17.

Comment

I finally got some LEDs fitted and im very happy with the colour and output....ive used LEDs with 5050 smd chips before and been happy with the colour and output.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2608325856...671%26_rdc%3D1

Thanx
                        Ken
                        Attached Files

Comment

I have just got it from a local online store very cheaper and its awesome. This bulb is German made, d3s xenon bulb with a 1 year of warranty. Here is the product https://xenons4u.co.uk/philips-d3s-xenon-bulb.html

Comment

Working...
                          X