Paint depth and machine polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint depth and machine polishing

Hi I'm very new to this! I've noticed my car has a lot of swirls everywhere and hedge marks down the sides which I really want to correct. I used a paint depth gauge and its reading around 80 on all panels apart from roof which is 150ish, my other half said that most cars are alot higher reading all over body and that once the depth gets around 80 it shouldn't be compounded/machined any more. Is Ds paint just really thin or has my car already been machined? Is there anything I can do to get rid of all the swirls without making the paint thinner? Sorry if these are silly questions, I've seen people go through paint when using a machine polisher and really don't want that to happen!

Andy should be able to help with this question, from what I've read here the DS paint is quite thin compared to some other makes
    sigpic

Comment

That is extremely thin and not a lot of room to play with at all using a machine with a compound.

Airing on the side of caution and avoiding any strike through, I personally wouldn't use a machine but would use Megs Ultimate Compound on a tri foam applicator. Safer and should get the results you require, albeit a little longer and more tiring by hand😉
      @cleanyourride28
      Andy DS3 Club's Resident OCD Detailer!
      Take a pride in your ride
      @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Ok thanks, I'd rather it take longer than go through the paint!

Comment

This might give you some hope

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=341805
          Meguiars Ultimate Compound by Hand to remove scratches

Can be bought from Halfrauds in their 3 for 2 aswell.
          Last edited by Clean Your Ride; 01-07-2014, 08:31.
          @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

That's brilliant! I will have to get myself to halfrauds soon, then I can upload lots of pics

Comment

I love using the maguiers compound by hand take you time on each patch and the results are well Werth taking your time on even if you go over it a few times

Comment

Originally posted by RabidRacoon28 View Post
                That is extremely thin and not a lot of room to play with at all using a machine with a compound.

Airing on the side of caution and avoiding any strike through, I personally wouldn't use a machine but would use Megs Ultimate Compound on a tri foam applicator. Safer and should get the results you require, albeit a little longer and more tiring by hand��
                @cleanyourride28
                That Megs ultimate compound that good then?
                Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by moranphotography View Post
                  That Megs ultimate compound that good then?

See the link on post 5 Phil. Great by hand, better by machine. Great product.
                  @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Would anyone recommend these cleaning and detailing services, has anyone tried it out? A friend of mine told me to visit here, but I would really like if someone could actually share their personal experience. So, can anyone do that please?

Comment

Working...
                    X