Miracle Cleaning Product ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miracle Cleaning Product ??

Ive now owned my DS3 for a couple of months, and in that time I have tried endlessly to try and bring the vinyl on the doors back to near new condition.
    Ive got, what I can only describe as mucky/greasy marks, which Im assuming is hand marks where over the years people have closed the drivers door by pushing on the vinyl.
    The drivers side is bad and does my head in ! The passenger side is nothing like as bad.

It came to the point where I had decided to peel the vinyl off. Has anyone else done this ? Im assuming its normal paintwork underneath once you get rid of all the gunk that the vinyl has been stuck on with.

The various 'Back To Black' products like Autoglym Rubber and Vinyl, Aerospace 303 certainly disguise the problem but after a few days of weathering the marks re-appear.

Before resorting to ripping the vinyl off, someone suggested a new miracle product .........
    its called Peanut Butter - Smooth not Crunchy !!

Well Ive tried everything else so why not.

Using a finger tip inside a soft cloth you apply the peanut butter (smooth not crunchy) in a circular motion and rubbing it well into the vinyl ......

After a couple of applications leave for 10 minutes.

Using a soft cloth you then buff it off.

The end result .........

The result is amazing and better than any 'normal' cleaning product Ive tried over the past couple of months.
    Im no chemist but Im assuming its the Palm Oil in the peanut butter (smooth not crunchy) that is the active ingredient.
    Only time will tell to see if the marks have actually been removed but I now have a pot of Peanut Butter (Smooth not Crunchy) in with all my other car cleaning products.

Its also very good at removing polish marks off any black plastic !

Cheers

Martin
    sigpic
    http://www.teamtorquesteer.co.uk

Hahaha! That's awesome!
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

I have no idea what to say! ha ha
      2015 DS3 DSport Plus 1.6 165thp - Evil Edition Mk2 - 176bhp

Comment

Definitely saved you a few quid!
        Instagram - danlock92

Citroen C2 1.4 HDi
        Citroen DS3 1.6 HDi Black Edition
        Citroen DS3 1.6 e-HDi Dstyle Red
        Citroen DS3 1.6 e-HDi Dsport Red
        Citroen DS 4 2.0 BlueHDi Dsport
        DS 3 1.2 Puretech EAT6 Dark Light

Comment

I tried it, but the exhaust swelled up, and my white wing mirrors developed a rash...
          There are only three kinds of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't...

Comment

Originally posted by HailVectron View Post
            I tried it, but the exhaust swelled up, and my white wing mirrors developed a rash...
            There is a nut allergy warning on the pot so if you car does have this condition leave well alone !!
            sigpic

Comment

Heard of this before. Brilliant at getting wax out of stone chips, black plastic too. Just a shame it smells horrid

Comment

Great tip - thanks, still prefer crunchy though !
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                  Great tip - thanks, still prefer crunchy though !
                  Yes! Crunchy ftw! Though I eat cashew/almond/hazelenut butter too and they're smooth... but peanut butter has to be crunchy.

But anyway! Thanks for the tip! Sounds strange but looks like it works so might have to try it sometime.
                  Current: DS 3 Performance, Perla Nera Black with Sparkly Purple roof
                  Previous: DS3 DStyle 120 VTi, Perla Nera Black with Fuchsia roof

Comment

I wouldn't waste my peanut butter on my car
                    Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Peanut butter has peanut oil which is " a medium weight molecular organic phosphoric medium" that will penetrate and restore the shine as well as protect the plastic from water.$%^&*#@Originally used to remove over applied wax from black plastic trim and from this it was discovered that a shine developed on the trim.

(Just don't be driving near any 🐘 elephants)
                      Andy DS3 Club's Resident OCD Detailer!
                      Take a pride in your ride
                      @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Andy,

I guess only time will tell but would it have removed the marks, or as the other products just masked it and they will re-appear after a bit of weathering ?

If this is the case, what would you recommend to get rid of it ? Also, have you had any experience of anyone actually removing the vinyl completley ? To be honest it doesnt look like it was put on very well at the factory with a piece lifting on the leading edge on both doors.

Thanks

Martin
                        sigpic

Comment

No experience of anybody removing the vinyl but a product that lasts is Gtecniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer. Used on the weathered 7yr old trim on my wife's car last year and still looks as good as new today. BE WARNED, it's expensive stuff though😞
                          Andy DS3 Club's Resident OCD Detailer!
                          Take a pride in your ride
                          @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Thanks Andy. Ill have a look at the Gtecniq C4 if I need to.
                            sigpic

Comment

Engine oil works well as an alternative to peanut butter also ;-)
                              However, I use the Armour All shield "Better than a Wax" stuff, This works on the plastics, vinyl and paintwork of the car as a "quick" wax and actually works really well. I Don't know anything about removing the vinyl though.

Comment

Working...
                              X