Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping your car like new...

Hi All

How do you guys keep your car like new? I drove mine out of the showroom six weeks ago and recently I've been stressing out about it.

I feel like the paintwork marks so easily, i found a few chips on the bonnet two weeks in, then i took it to the car wash (hand wash, you know the ones) and when i looked after there were scores (on the bonnet) from what looked like grit on the sponge.

Then i found a scratch on the black trim at the door panel (not sure what it's called).

Also when i got it there were small scores on the touchscreen panel (looked like someone struggled to get the original plastic off the screen).

I didn't get a after sales call from the car dealers otherwise i would have raised it with them (i did fill in the survey they sent out in quite some detail though).

I'm not wanting to wrap my car in bubble wrap or anything i'm just disheartened by the marks.

I've it booked in on payday with a car detailer who is hopefully going to sort the scratches and put a sealant on that should offer protection for 12 months.

Anyone had similar issues? I'm prob just being an OCD head lol.

Sadly the paint on DS3s seems to be very soft/thin. I had the exact same issues with chips and swirls in the paintwork and mine was only cleaned by me, with a wooly mitt, two buckets etc etc.
    sigpic

Comment

I think the best advice anyone can give you is always wash it yourself.

I try to get it as much dirt off before a sponge touches it. I jet wash it, apply a coat of rapid dirt shifter then jet wash it again, clean it with a lambs wool mit using the two bucket method and dry it with a wooly mamoth.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, as above. The best way to keep it looking as you would like if to spend some time washing it Not only can you get the desired result, you can inspect the car as you go and you know its all your own work- if you happen to damage anything. Happens to the best of us! I know a detailer on here that dinked his bonnet because the end of the snow foam nozzle pinged off.

You don't need to have a wealth of knowledge of a garage full of top line products either. You can get great results with what you know and have.

Few simple points are:
        Rinse before you take a mit etc to it (next step up is getting a Traffic Film Remover on first to dwell a bit and loosen the grubbiness)
        Don't use a sponge - I use a noodle mit - but as mentioned there are lots of variants
        Don't get put off! It can become quite addictive once you start

I've had 2 DS3's and my paint work has been fine with the right care.
        My DS3R3... nearly....
        New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

I'm very anal with how my cars are cleaned, if I don't do it myself I only really trust one place with it. My car is full of stone chips and swirl marks and it's not even a year old yet.

The citroen paint I feel is very very soft. It's inevitable really.
          @mike_lowsocial

Comment

Hi Guys

I'm going to invest in some cleaning products and do it myself from now on. Yea it seems that if i look at my car side wards it marks lol i do love it though, think that's why i'm so anal about it lol

Comment

The downside to cleaning it yourself is that you find things that weren't obvious. For instance, after a few weeks of being too busy to give mine a good clean I finally got round to it and discovered a dent in the bonnet and a ding in the door. Neither are down to me. I don't know how the heck the bonnet got dented (looks like a ball bounced off it maybe) and I park away from other cars. I've been on a downer ever since and don't want to look at it let alone clean it.
              "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
              https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

Comment

Originally posted by Jo67 View Post
                The downside to cleaning it yourself is that you find things that weren't obvious. For instance, after a few weeks of being too busy to give mine a good clean I finally got round to it and discovered a dent in the bonnet and a ding in the door. Neither are down to me. I don't know how the heck the bonnet got dented (looks like a ball bounced off it maybe) and I park away from other cars. I've been on a downer ever since and don't want to look at it let alone clean it.
                On the upside however, you might find things that could be dangerous such as tyre health (bubbles etc). It's a good way to give your DS3 a health check too
                My DS3R3... nearly....
                New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

I've had mine almost 4 weeks and haven't cleaned it yet - yes I know it's bad! After reading this - I'm almost too worried to do it at all. I'm not gonna use a sponge at all, in case of swirls etc and the soft paint thing also concerns me. Can I just jet wash it first with a rinse and then clean with snow attachment and then rinse again with jet and then shammy dry? Is that minimising the risk?

I had an auto glym paint protection put on at the dealers prior to collection and it still looks good, but needs it's first bath.
                  DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

Having an eye on your car while cleaning can be really annoying.
                    Had mine washed today and while doing the details with a microfibre cloth found a new stone chip in the front and worst a stone chip in my left head light.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky View Post
                      I've had mine almost 4 weeks and haven't cleaned it yet - yes I know it's bad! After reading this - I'm almost too worried to do it at all. I'm not gonna use a sponge at all, in case of swirls etc and the soft paint thing also concerns me. Can I just jet wash it first with a rinse and then clean with snow attachment and then rinse again with jet and then shammy dry? Is that minimising the risk?

I had an auto glym paint protection put on at the dealers prior to collection and it still looks good, but needs it's first bath.
                      While the jet wash and snow foam will do a good job of getting the looser dirt off you still need to, you know, wash it. And take that Shammy and toss it in the bin right the *&^* now! before you destroy your paint. Use a soft fluffy micro fiber instead.

For great advice head over to detailing word forum http://www.detailingworld.co.uk they know literally everything about taking care of your paint.
                      Last edited by cyclone; 08-08-2016, 16:36. Reason: added detailing world
                      Originally posted by cyclone
                      It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                      Originally posted by Broda
                      I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                        While the jet wash and snow foam will do a good job of getting the looser dirt off you still need to, you know, wash it. And take that Shammy and toss it in the bin right the *&^* now! before you destroy your paint. Use a soft fluffy micro fiber instead.

For great advice head over to detailing word forum http://www.detailingworld.co.uk they know literally everything about taking care of your paint.
                        Tosses shammy into the bin and hangs head in shame!! :redface:
                        DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

No chamois and no sponges !!!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

As well as using recommended products e.g. Meguiars, Auto Glym etc I started by using a wash and wax product to cut down on the time I spend getting a shine on my car,this works for me as I can spend only one hour in total only Washing,Wash and Waxing, Washing then drying.

For washing off the dirt it`s the powerwasher,followed by the Meguiars Wash and Wax applied using a noodlemitt (soft on paint,tough on stubborn marks) then powerwash the suds off having washed the car Roof,Windows,Bodywork.LowerBodywork and Wheels & Tyres last. Then dry off with a big soft Microfibre towel.

Time taken is usually only one hour and really works well for me. The other items I have protected on the car are the Bonnet,Roof top and Headlamps with 3M vinyl products and these are effective protectors of paintwork and glass on part of the headlights.

Hope this gives you some idea of the ways you can maintain the look of your car whilst protecting it a bit.

Oh and a bootlip protector for the rear bumper.
                            Last edited by JEZDS3; 18-08-2016, 07:56.
                            LA PETITE FUSEE / THE LITTLE ROCKET

sigpic

Comment

Your guaranteed to find a blemish a stone chip swirls the joy of washing it yourself ,I msn bagged to find a scratch and a dent last week.sigh.

Comment

Working...
                              X