First wash advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First wash advice

I know there have been a few threads related to washing but I can't see a recent one.

I've just spent the last few hours looking at various products and my head is in a spin!

I decided against having the DiamondBrite treatment done by the dealer for various reasons. I've no doubt the product is good but will it be applied properly/at all! I've also read that there are far cheaper sealants that are just as good.

So, I've had a look around and I've come up with this shopping list. If someone in the know could cast their eye over it, that would be appreciated.

Two buckets (two bucket method)
    Lambswool Mitt
    Sponge (for the wheels)
    Poorboys Light Glaze & Wax Kit (£47):
    1 x Poorboy's White Diamond Glaze (473 ml)
    1 x Poorboy's Natty's White Paste Wax (227 g)
    1 x Poorboy's Quick Detailer Plus (473 ml)
    1 x Meguiar's Microfibre Applicator Pad
    1 x Meguiar's Foam Applicator Pad
    1 x Poorboy's Super Thick & Plush Towel
    2 x Poorboy's Deluxe Mega Towels
    Autoglym Fast Glass
    Autoglym Wheel Cleaner + Alloy wheel sealer

I'll be driving a few hundred miles before I get the chance to wash it for the first time, so I intend to rinse the car, wash with the shampoo then use the White Diamond Glaze followed by the Natty's and Detailer spray as per the kit instructions on the site.

First question is that the first step says to use White Diamond Glaze to "freshly clayed paint". I'm guessing I can skip this bit. I just want to use the glaze as the sealant so will a shampoo then straight to the glaze be ok?

What about drying. I've always used a chamois but they look to be old hat now. What would you suggest?

I don't really want to go mad on detailing here so I don't want to spend a fortune on products. lol. I'm just looking to apply some protection to the car asap and then shampoo and occasional wax as required.

Anything else I should add to my shopping list?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nope sorry =]
    sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
    Third time around.
    Work in Progress

Comment

Rickzayne.....you aint NO Zack that's for sure you are a prized plonk!!
      Dsport 150 THP 1.6 Belle lle Blue / White - silver alloys - NO leather seats!

Comment

Haha.

Um waxing a new car seems a bit odd to me tho...
        sigpic.

Third time around.
        Work in Progress

Comment

You've got more than enough there!

A lot of people here, me included, prefer drying with a microfibre towel than a leather.

I have been experimenting with wheel cleaners and can't find a particularly good one. Best so far is Tesco's bathroom cleaner!!!

My routine is:

Wash
          Rinse
          Towel Dry
          Wax with Harley Carnauba wax
          Soak wheels with whatever is at hand
          Get down and scrub them with a soft brush
          Rinse them

Have tried waxing wheels but it seems to make the brake dust stick even more

Good luck and enjoy.

Jimbob

Comment

Meguiar's stuff is always top notch but I would add some Turtles wet 'n black for the tyres..not really found better for that really deep wet shine.
            Dsport 150 THP 1.6 Belle lle Blue / White - silver alloys - NO leather seats!

Comment

You really wax your car every time you clean it?

My routine is:

Rinse
              Wash
              Rinse
              Microfibre Towel
              Alloy Wheel Cleaner i got with the supaguard pac
              Rinse wheels
              Wheel and Trim Shine
              done
              sigpic.

Third time around.
              Work in Progress

Comment

Originally posted by Rickzayne View Post
                Haha.

Um waxing a new car seems a bit odd to me tho...
                A new car straight from the dealer has "bare" paint, unless they have provided some form of treatment to the finish, ie diamondbrite, superguard or similar.
                Unless you want the finish to dull down quickly some form of protection (polish) is a good idea

Comment

You really wax your car every time you clean it?
                  Yep - mostly.
                  But I only wash it one a week at most.

Jimbob

Comment

Originally posted by john55810uk View Post
                    A new car straight from the dealer has "bare" paint, unless they have provided some form of treatment to the finish, ie diamondbrite, superguard or similar.
                    Unless you want the finish to dull down quickly some form of protection (polish) is a good idea
                    AHHH

well i have supaguard on mine so its okay for me. Always thought a new car would have some sort of protection tho...

never waxed a car before tho.. is it hard?
                    sigpic.

Third time around.
                    Work in Progress

Comment

never waxed a car before tho.. is it hard?
                      Not particularly, you just put it on, leave it a bit then rub it off.
                      Secret is not to put too much on, you'll only end up rubbing it off again.

If you use solid wax then wet the pad first or don't bother drying the car totally.
                      If you use liquid wax then it doesn't matter.

Jimbob

Secret

Comment

I Recommend The Above...

Comment

love the cat one!
                          sigpic.

Third time around.
                          Work in Progress

Comment

LOL I JOKE...

I Used To Put My Car Through A Car Wash But Now As Of This Week I've Started Using This Guide That My Mate Jeff Posted On Cleaned-UK... My Cars Never Looked So Good !!!

Megs Gold class Wash
                            Its thick and foamy, gives loads of soap sudds that really get into the dirt, its ph neutral and great for deep cleans as well as your weekly wash. Also easy to get hold of being sold through the larger retailers like halfords as oppozed to detailing sites online. (Although everythings always cheaper online lol)

Auto Glym Super Resin Polish
                            Theres hundreds out there, poorboys, Megs, Dodo etc, but again im picking a good all rounder for value for money rather than the best. Most detailers will stay away from the big name brans like Megs and Autoglym these days but they'll all tell you Auto Glym SRP is a great base polish.

Poorboys Nattys Paste Wax OR Dodo juice Soft wax
                            The poorbots is cheaper but i honestly think the Dodo works better, and coverage is easier, Id go for a soft wax if your quite new to detailing as its easier to apply, goes further, plus you apply it with your fingertips, which i prefer even if you get a few dodgy looks at shows
                            You've got a red car so id probably opt for 'Dodo Orange Crush' or maybe 'rainforest rub' but the crush smells fantastic. Again as said the poorboys is cheaper and its far from a s poor wax!

Meguiars Quick Detailer
                            Again Dodo do their version 'red mist' and theres plenty of others, im going for ease of purchase and a good all rounder. This will come in handy if your claying the car pre treatment (although if your clever you can make your own claying solutionf rom the megs gold class and warm water).

You'll be needing the quick detailer at shows anyway, its a god send.

Thats the main things, obviously youve got your glass cleaners, tyre shines, bumper trim detailer etc but tbh i tend to use cheaper products for thats ort of thing. Ive used Megs, AG, Zymol, and loads of other tyre shines yet i find the £1 autoworx spray tyre shines to work the best for a glossy finish lol

After that get yourself two buckets, a noodle or lambswool (a bit heavier to use) mitt, a nice drying towel, a few microfibres (again poundland!) and a few wax and polish apllicator pads.

Method.....
                            Wash the car with the two bucket method, one with the megs in and one clean water. Everytime the mitt comes off the car it goes in the clean water to rinse it before back in the soapy bucket. TBH you can use one bucket if you dont touch the bottom with the mitt picking up gritt, im just doing the geeky detailing thing lol

You can then use your soapy solution in a spray bottle, or use the megs quick detailer, to clay the car, keeping it lubed or it will do more damage than good. With the car clayed, you wash it once more.

Dry it down with the a drying towel (another money saver - I use gym microfibre towels (£3 from home bargains lol rather than £15 for a sonus wundertowel lol)

Next comes the polish (tend to do this every 3-4 months POLISH STRIPS WAX)

Then comes the wax, the wax is the thing youw ant to be doing regular after washing to keep the layers topped up.

Basically with the car clayed and polished, its good for the show season . . .and its just a case of washing and waxing, washing and waxing, washing and waxing at shows.

Comment

how long does that take you?

took me 2 hours tonight just to wash my car and dry it with microfibre cloth!
                              sigpic.

Third time around.
                              Work in Progress

Comment

Working...
                              X