No announcement yet.

Arghh... What's This All Over My Car?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arghh... What's This All Over My Car?!

Had the car in for an overdue full clean / polish today.

Guys have done a decent enough job, except told me they could not remove these black dots.

They go up the driver side from the headlight, over the bonnet, up windscreen and a few on the roof?!

Any idea on what the hell it might be, or how to remove?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5877.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	368597
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5881.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	368596

For me it looks like tree resin.
    If it can't be removed with commercial items, well how about a light abrasive polish?

Comment

Originally posted by Jan79 View Post
      For me it looks like tree resin.
      If it can't be removed with commercial items, well how about a light abrasive polish?
      Yes that would make sense. I could not work out why there was no 'splash' to the drops, and why on one side. There is a few small trees by the end of the rows of the work carpark... seems to be the likely cause given it's only on one side too.

Not sure what this lot tried for removal, what would you start with?

Comment

I'd try tar remover.
        - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
        - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Tar Remover or special resin remover are a good start. Don't know if cleaning clay might help.
          As a last resort I once used paint thinner but with this you have to be very careful,
          use only small amounts, wash the car immediately afterwards and make sure not to touch any plastic parts
          and of course wax it after washing because the thinner will remove everything.

Comment

Left Halfords almost £70 lighter :o

Tar/Sap remover did nothing. Clay bar wasn't doing anything either. Ended up using the clay bar lubricant and the microfibre to basically scrub it off.

Bonnet done... bumper, wheel arch, windscreen & roof to do!

Comment

looks a bit like cherry poop yes i said cherry poop starlings are the worst for excreting it but it should wash off ensure you get it damp to wet 1st as could have grains in it resulting swirls
              e-hdi 90 dsytle all white with ashera's and lonely citroen graphic's and club decals sigpic NCC-1701-C THE ENTERPRISE being rehomed
              Soon to have a Prestige 130 SS in arctic steel metallic with emerald mettalic roof and grey aphrodite wheels

Comment

£70 spent AND still non the wiser to knowing what it was!

As Billy said, looks like a fruity poop. We used to have a Rowan Tree on out front lawn and the Starlings LOVED it. Always pooing it out on the cars. My Dad want to tie the cat to a long stick so he could prod it into the tree to scare the birds off -_- We didn't let him.
                My DS3R3... nearly....
                New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Don't think it's anything like that. The spots are about 5mm each, and absolutely no splash 'impact'. Car must have been still, and whatever it is dropped straight down from above.

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                    Don't think it's anything like that. The spots are about 5mm each, and absolutely no splash 'impact'. Car must have been still, and whatever it is dropped straight down from above.
                    You paid £70 to get the car cleaned and left with marks all over it? I'd be more worried about that than finding the source of the marks

As others have said, tar remover should help lift those off.
                    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                      You paid £70 to get the car cleaned and left with marks all over it? I'd be more worried about that than finding the source of the marks

As others have said, tar remover should help lift those off.
                      I think they spent £70 on products to clean it off themselves, not to get someone to clean it for them.
                      ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
                      Join the Facebook Group!
                      Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Yeh £70 on products. I had nothing, not even a clean bucket!

Now got bucket, microfibres, wax, shampoo & clay cars etc

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                          Yeh £70 on products. I had nothing, not even a clean bucket!

Now got bucket, microfibres, wax, shampoo & clay cars etc
                          I see!! Thought you had a "professional detail" done.

Ah well, at least you have some mucky spots to practice on
                          cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

nothing for it other than a resporay am afraid :cool:
                            ;-)
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                            X