Easy, fast and cheap way to clean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy, fast and cheap way to clean?

OK I know I'm going to be shouted at but unlike most of you I am not into cleaning my car - the inside of my current car hasn't seen a hoover for years and I've always gone to the drive-through car wash when it needed a wash & polish.

Now, I've already learnt by being on this forum that the car wash is a no-no so I won't be doing that.. but how can I clean my nice new car (when it arrives - I'm a bit early, but I want to be prepared!) in an easy and quick way, without spending too much money on all these different polishes and waxes?

Some of the prices you quoted for cleaning packs seem a bit steep for me! and I can't see the difference. What do they all do? Do I really need all those? I think I might be better off going to a hand car-wash place and having it done there!

Some advice would be nice and please no abuse about 'do I love my car'..

Ta
    Botticelli blue/Onyx black with black wheels.. whoohoo

Hey Dutchgirl

It's OK not to be anally retentive.
    Don't know if you consider it value but near me you can get a hand wash, polish and hoover for £15.

I love polishing my car but I HATE hoovering it!!! I think car mats are designed to cling to dirt.

Jimbob

Comment

I'm with you Dutchgirl, I think that it's just plain wrong to clean your own car and put all these Polish people out of work. I get mine cleaned every 500 miles or so. As for the inside, well it hasn't been done yet.

Comment

If you want your paintwork to look as good as it can do it yourself with a pre rinse, wash with Xymol shampoo using the two bucket method, dry with microfibre cloths and not chamois etc then apply a coat of a good wax using a round applicator, buff off, finished

If you don't care about your paint, go to a hand car wash where they use sponges that pick up grit and scratch your car.

Comment

Buy some megulars quick detailer. Takes 15 mins to clean and leave your car shiny!

£10+2 microfibre towels
          sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
          Third time around.
          Work in Progress

Comment

Originally posted by telephoneman View Post
            I think that it's just plain wrong to clean your own car and put all these Polish people out of work.
            Brilliant !

Comment

Hi Dutchgirl,

Simply wash the car regularly either with hose pipe or bucket of water & dry it before water droplets form (I use a Micro fibre cloth to dry it)....Never polished mine and paint work still looks good as new.

Hope this helps Clarky.

Comment

Showroom shine from ideal world, never fails

Comment

Use Pro Active Solution. I my friend’s brother’s friend uses it and it works really well especially the refining mask.

Comment

Hi all, thanks so much for the replies. Sorry I haven't picked them up sooner, I was on holiday. I'll definitely look out for the products you mentioned. Don't think I can get a hand car wash, polish and hoover for £15 around here though!
                    Botticelli blue/Onyx black with black wheels.. whoohoo

Comment

i bought this - take it this will do the job?!
                      http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...1#BVRRWidgetID
                      Polar white with black roof, black bellones - My Photies!!

Comment

Blimey, this has been enlightening. I've always used sponges since I got the car but heavy dirt has never been a problem. What would you recommend to get off the tough dead bugs that I seem to collect a 1000 of every 500 miles! A spunge won't do it. Also is there some kind of guide to the 2 bucket system?

Comment

Originally posted by Bensds3 View Post
                          Blimey, this has been enlightening. I've always used sponges since I got the car but heavy dirt has never been a problem. What would you recommend to get off the tough dead bugs that I seem to collect a 1000 of every 500 miles! A spunge won't do it. Also is there some kind of guide to the 2 bucket system?
                          You can get a lot more info at DetailingWorld.

But, for the bugs and stuff I'd get some bug remover spray, let it soak.. it'll take off any tar too!

2 bucket method is merely having 1 bucket for your soapy water, 1 for your clean water... Dip the washmitt into your soapy bucket.. wash some of your car.. rinse it in the clean water bucket.. repeat.

This will mean you'll get rid off any dirt or grit off your wash mitt before you put it into the soapy water and onto your car!

Edit:

If you keep a layer of wax or other protection on your car, just spray some undiluted car shampoo onto the bugs, leave it to settle, and then jet wash off.. Just done it and it worked a treat, all the bugs off without even picking up a wash mitt
                          Last edited by x6411; 15-07-2011, 13:35.

Comment

i have the dreaded superguard treatment but i think il get the bug remover as that sounds easiest. been using a bird lime neutraliser for when that sort of stuff happens and it works a treat.

Comment

Does that flash gun still exist?? It was heavily advertised on TV a few years back. It was a blue gun which contained flash car shampoo which you attached to the end of your hosepipe. Knock the switch and it sprayed the shampoo, turn the dial and it sprayed clear water to rinse. To dry you turned the dial and fine spray emerged which dispersed the water drops on the car allowing it to dry evenly. Saved loads of time.
                              Dsport 150 THP 1.6 Belle lle Blue / White - silver alloys - NO leather seats!

Comment

Working...
                              X