Scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch

Got a scratch on the car when trying to park it in a tight spot in the dark. Basically lost a fight with a bush cause it refused to fit in the end. Long story but basically it was park by a gang of drunk teens or squeeze past a bush. Failed and failed... Pretty annoyed to find the scratch but the car looks a bit messed after a week camping, just part of it I guess. Be giving it a good wash on Monday. As for the scratch I have a scuff removal kit that came with my superguard. Not sure if that will do it. Can feel the scratch and can see it as a black line on White paint. Anyone got any tips? Also what might a dealer charge to fix it? I have a rather nasty stone chip I'd like to get fixed so could get them both done.

You'd be surprised what can be buffed out with some polish, or perhaps the stuff you have there. (as long as you do it right)

I'm not a pro though.. You could try asking CliveP about it, or have a look on DetailingWorld, I'm sure there'll be a tutorial on scratch removal.

Good luck bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bensds3 View Post
      ...... Can feel the scratch and can see it as a black line on White paint. Anyone got any tips? Also what might a dealer charge to fix it? I have a rather nasty stone chip I'd like to get fixed so could get them both done.
      This suggests it is black laying on top of the white paint? i.e. the scratch isn't through the white paint to the metal? Is that the case as far as you can tell?

If it's black laying on the white, then pretty sure it would machine out. The scuff removal kit (I won't comment on supaguard) may remove it if it is laying on top of the white paint. If not a machine would likely lessen it considerably. Shame you're not nearer to me as I'd happily have a go tomorrow (Sat) for you...

Regards,
      Clive.
      CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
      DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

(I won't comment on supaguard)

lol... yep i know about supaguard, i believe naivety is the word, ive not noticed it so far. wont get it again.

got the whole day to deep clean tomorrow so will try to removal kit. the fact it was just a bush i reckon it should be ok. should have known really the amount of times ive scratched the work truck with bushes and trees.

i will take a before an after picture as examples for others.

Comment

I have tried the scuff remover and paint protector and the black marks all gone but the scratch is still noticeable. You can't see it what with the White paint however. Closer inspection shows it though. May look at the dealer cost of repair when it goes in for service. That or leave it, some people have been telling me it will need a whole panel respray. Want to keep the car in tip top shape but don't have money to throw at it like that

Comment

Originally posted by Bensds3 View Post
            I have tried the scuff remover and paint protector and the black marks all gone but the scratch is still noticeable. You can't see it what with the White paint however. Closer inspection shows it though. May look at the dealer cost of repair when it goes in for service. That or leave it, some people have been telling me it will need a whole panel respray. Want to keep the car in tip top shape but don't have money to throw at it like that
            How bad does it look Ben? Is it that bad that you can't leave it until you sell her.
            DS3 Racing, also available in White!!!

Comment

White is a bit of a tricky colour, but here's what you can do purely machining a deep scratch...

Not sure if these pics will come up big enough but this is a scratch:

Same panel, machined polish two applications medium abrasive polish and pad combination (courtesy DaveKG):
              Note scratch is still present (look carefully!) but by rounding the edges of the scratch, the angle of incidence (light reflection) is widened so your eye sees in much less:

Offers there if we get chance (detail meet maybe?)- not sure how much it would get reduced on white.
              Personally I would try this before any paint re-spray / touch up.

edit - this is an example where the scratch has gone through to the metal - so a black mark sat on your white car should be easier.
              Regards,
              Clive.
              Last edited by CliveP; 24-08-2011, 23:03.

Comment

had scratch on passager door, and stone chip on roof broach hill garage driffield buffed scratch out, touch up stone chip and gave me the rest of paint the mixed up . got to test drive new DS4 200bhp in white had coffee and even got slice of cake all for free what a great garage they are thanks lads and lasses !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have some hard water marks on my Racing, would love to be able to get rid of them but I don't have ideal conditions for washing/polishing her.

Comment

wet mic fiber cloth rub on dry with other mic fiber cloth straight away mate works on black car !!!!
                    Last edited by DS3RACING96; 24-08-2011, 23:02.

Comment

Originally posted by DS3RACING96 View Post
                      wet mic fiber cloth rub on dry with other mic fiber cloth straight away mate works on black car !!!!
                      I try and keep the car as wet as possible before drying off, perhaps i will dry her off as soon as possible.

Comment

Yes after washing you want to dry as quickly as possible, preferably with a soft drying towel and never a chamois (inflicts scratches).

Your marks may take more shifting now though.

Regards,
                        Clive.

Comment

Originally posted by CliveP View Post
                          Yes after washing you want to dry as quickly as possible, preferably with a soft drying towel and never a chamois (inflicts scratches).

Your marks may take more shifting now though.

Regards,
                          Clive.
                          I do try and dry with a micrbe fibre towel as soon as possible but I don't have an ideal location for washing her.
                          Last edited by Arlow; 06-09-2011, 18:08.

Comment

Will post some pics of the scratch and what ive done to work on it. A polish might be on the cards. It's not noticeable enough for me to keep worrying about it. And the end of the day cars got a job todo and scratches happen (&bugs, dirt, dust; water marks, stone chips...). Nothing beats a good clean and dry though!

Comment

Heres photos of my scratch. The first shows the initial scratch the second shows it after i used the buff remover and paint protecter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	353449Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	353450

Comment

Working...
                              X