No announcement yet.

DIY Bellones refurbishment- any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Bellones refurbishment- any advice?

My DS3 is over 5 years old and the wheels centres and some small parts of the rim are whitening due to clear coat wearing away and water getting to the metal

Not paying between 60-£100 for refurbishment of each wheel, so will have a go, one at a time over winter, myself. Its not as if its a new car, and have done it before with some success

So. Will clean wheel with acid cleaner, rinsing thoroughly within one minute. Then, when dry, will use 3 grades of wet n dry to remove staining, then 3 coats of clear coat. (Varnish for cars)

Anyone got any additional hints, or advice?

When I've done it b4, it doesn't stand up to close scrutiny, but looks pretty good from a couple of feet away.
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Look forward to seeing the results.

Comment

Me too. Not till summer tho, out in back garden with a few ciders
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
        Me too. Not till summer tho, out in back garden with a few ciders
        I'll pop down Chris_Blue and have a few with you as I do mine too!!
        DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Funky View Post

I'll pop down Chris_Blue and have a few with you as I do mine too!!
          Long drive.... bring some tinnies …

lets hope the wheels look good after ??? lol

Last edited by Chris_Blue; 11-01-2019, 18:40.
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Chris, I wanted to do the same on the alloys I have for my previous daily the 107. I calculated the total cost of paint / lacquer / wet - dry paper and all the other bits required and it came up to a total of around 90 quid. Of course you can have it done a lot less, (especially if you already have everything) but then the quality or durability suffers.

Then I found a company called "City Wheel Refurbishments" in Birmingham, where they refurbished the four wheels for 80!!!!!!!!!!! quid.

That is with a powder coated finish.

This is how all of them looked like before:

Then after:

Their price is 20 quid up to 18" per wheel. My RCZ wheels cost me an additional 5 quid each as they are 19". - this is for standard colours, like the dark gunmetal grey on the 107 alloys or the gloss black for the RCZ.

Comment

wow. that's fab
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

They look sweet VTS_Tibi and that's a cracking price too!!

Comment

They look sweet VTS_Tibi and that's a cracking price too!!
                  I see groupon do a service (Local to me but expect other areas too) that's £99 for 4 refurbished wheels
                  Problem is, it don't say what they do to refurb them, how long they need the car, do they need the wheels removed etc etc

Doubtful they would be powder coated too- half tempted to travel to Birmingham for that deal ^ ^ ^

sigpic
                  Jog on Noddy

Comment

I see groupon do a service (Local to me but expect other areas too) that's £99 for 4 refurbished wheels
                    Problem is, it don't say what they do to refurb them, how long they need the car, do they need the wheels removed etc etc

Doubtful they would be powder coated too- half tempted to travel to Birmingham for that deal ^ ^ ^
                    Let me know if you go Chris. I need 2 Bellones sorting too and there is no-one I can find near me that can refurb them for much less than a brand new wheel.

Comment

Let me know if you go Chris. I need 2 Bellones sorting too and there is no-one I can find near me that can refurb them for much less than a brand new wheel.
                      Maybe VTS-Tibi could give us the exact details of the place
                      Wonder if they need the wheels off the car, and need them left with them a couple days (Thatd put the Kybosh on a visit)

But if its drive in, leave for a few hours, then wheels like the photos above for £80, I'm in!
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

wow. that's fab
                        Especially for £20 per wheel.

Comment

Your d3s bulbs has got the real life mann.

Comment

Sorry DS3

Comment

Tried acid wheel cleaner, a lot better, but not great. Just keep trying different products I spose?
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                              X