Necessary to Wax after Polishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necessary to Wax after Polishing?

Hi I was just looking some advice. I have my DS3 2 years now black on white. Through washing there are a few light swirl marks roof and body that just annoy me to look at. I have used autoglym super resin polish approx 4-6 weeks ago and mer hybrid wax afterwards - it brought a good shine but still not satisfied and wanted to apply the polish again but is it necessary to wax again after i polish? Would polishing so soon again do any damage??

Waxing is allways a good idea?
    Keeps the dirt longer off and it makes it all shiny :>
    BLACK DS3 Sport Chic 150THP | Forge Induction Kit | Skytune Exhaust

Comment

Just noticed the same swirl marks on the wife's car it's not the polish but paint looks like it has fine scrapes in it

Comment

Yea that's the same problem as myself I thought my roof actually looked a bit dull as well. I consider myself to look after my car well. I knw swirl marks are unavoidable just something I wud like to get rid of. Maybe too fussy lol

Comment

Thanks Raain I think I'll just wax it anyway to be sure

Comment

polish strips the protection

wax puts it back.
            sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
            Third time around.
            Work in Progress

Comment

Thanks ur car is lookin good. What polish & wax u use? I have Autoglym super resin polish and mer hybrid wax

Comment

Hi Folks,

Well I'm afraid an OCD car detailer can't resist a reply to this thread!

The fine scratches you see are caused by incorrect wash technique. A sponge will trap small dirt particles as you wash the car and you will then press them against the clearcoat (clear 'varnish' type layer on top of the colour) which will cause the tiny scratches you see - and particularly see in bright sunlight.
                Although you dont see them in normal light they detract from the depth of reflection of the paintwork.

Super Resin Polish contains fillers which literally fill these swirl marks but only on a temporary basis. The only way to remove them completely is to machine polish them but that's another subject for another day. As a product Super Resin Polish is aimed at the mass market and it is an 'all in one' type product which both polishes and leaves some protection (wax like properties) but it does not protect for long.

Polish = physically removing a fine layer from the car's surface to make it smoother
                Wax = a layer of protection

The difference in look that a wax will make depends on how well you've polished the car first. Wax (the 'last step product') then adds protection to the car's finish.

However, first principles, the most important thing is correct wash technique using two buckets, something like a lamb wash mitt (instead of a sponge) and a plush drying towel (instead of a chamois which can also trap fine dirt particles).

In fact as it's my OCD hobby I am helping run a course tomorrow which we have a nice number signed up to....but that's not the purpose of my post...

Take a look on this site to read all about correct wash technique and everything else detail related!, www.detailingworld.co.uk .... I'm the same user name on there....

Swirl marks can be removed and your care look much better than the day you took delivery of it.....I think my machine polish of my DS3 took about nine hours (there's links in this section to it)....but with correct wash technique I should not need to machine it again, but you will always inflict some swirls, so I will likely give it a enhance machine polish this summer to kmock those marks out...

Ah, here's the link to mine after a nice little going over:
                http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=226370

Regards,
                Clive.
                Last edited by CliveP; 25-05-2012, 07:18.
                CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
                DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

I admire CliveP and always start off with the best intentions. Problem is I can only maintain enthusiasm for about 1 hour then I start to give up. This means certain sections of my car are great and others are, well, shitty!
                  Perhaps the answer is to start in a different place every time?

CliveP - without a lot of work can you give me a rough order of valeting e.g. interior first? hoover before polish? You know what I mean.

Cheers

Jimbob

Comment

Will definitely will have a look Clive thanks for all the info

Comment

Working...
                    X