New car new cleaning kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car new cleaning kit

Be honest i am not really in to cleaning cars but reading comments about no sponges and leathers etc thought best get some advice on what I need plain SIMPLE guide using Halfords

My car Belle-ile blue metallic with black roof

Thanks

Quazzo
    2012 Dstyle+ 1.6 eHDI 90 Airdreamsigpic
    Belle Ile Blue With Black Roof

Feel free to correct me Clive; I did my best!

I'd say the best thing you can do without going too overboard is to get a decent lambswool washmitt, and wash using the 2 bucket method. Prior to this, you at least need a good rinse of the car with a hosepipe to remove loose grit that may be in contact with the paint. When washing, use as little pressure as possible. Get yourself a nice soft microfibre drying towel and pat the car dry, as opposed to rubbing.

Product wise is down to personal preference, but I use Autoglym Car Shampoo for the wash, Super Resin Polish and then finish with the HD Wax, though the Extra Gloss Protection Wax works well too. I'd say these are your minimum products. You may/will also need some window cleaner (I again use Autoglym Fast Glass, and I recommed their tyre and bumper gel for cleaning all the black plastics and trim, along with the tyres. I would also recommend some non-acid wheel cleaner and a sealant, but from your post i'm not sure how far you want to go!

Let me know your thoughts.

Comment

Quazzo- I'm not into the whole detailing thing at all (sorry Clive). But I've got the autoglym products for the paintwork- the super resin polish, wax stuff and also the window stuff- Halfords have 3 for 2. They also sell their own heavy duty microfibre dohickies which are about a fiver for 2 of them

Close to me is a decent hand carwash who do a good job and I let them do the cleaning bit, after that, bit of polish and and then wax. Both products are pretty quick to apply and you get lovely results- it really makes a difference, especially the glass cleaner!!

for the interior I just buy the dashboard wipes from Asda and for the highgloss stuff the glass cleaner is supposed to work fantastically but I haven't tried it yet. I also have leather and use the autoglym leather cleaner and put on a cream conditioner afterwards.

The polishing and waxing only happens once every 6 weeks or so, the rest of the time it just goes through the hand carwash.
      http://db.tt/tJZ0ZQG1
      Black on Black DSports+ THP 155 16v Custom Remap to 193BHP; 230lb/ft

Comment

Whilst keeoping the DS3 clean is great and bit of a hobby, I dont take it to extremes as the car has to be used
        It can get a bit "OMG- Havent cleaned it for 24hrs and its spitting with rain"
        The inside is usually a bit more of a priority- dont like driving round in a skip!
        CBLUE
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Chris, I'd definitely get some of the glass stuff though- it makes 1 hell of a difference to your windscreen!!!

Comment

OK Nerdy
            I also use "Rain away" which when it rains is really weird. The rain just rolls off
            When u r on the motorway hacking a bit, you dont even need wipers
            The rain beads away so quick- its really surreal
            Cleans the glass too
            CBLUE
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

This is for the inside and outside- also beads up. I think it was 6.99 and with the amount of glass on a DS3 it's well worth it.

Comment

Yup it depends on how far and how much time you want to spend. Different products can be used to still add protection and shine but take less time to apply. The only down side is they may not offer as much protection and you may apply it more often. A good polish and wax/sealant will last a few months once your doing it right (or so I've read as I'm still learning myself lol).

There are plenty threads on here about cleaning kits and also check http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/ if you are up for spending a bit of time reading up on the subject. I diid this and it is an eye opener and change my attitude to cleaning and caring for my car.

sigpic
                Black on Black eHDI 110 Dsport+ :cool:

Comment

Gents, I stand very pleased and amazed, you have all advised the poster very well! - Great opening answer Josh! Perhaps my obession has rubbed off and you and it's nice ot know some people do read my rambling car detailing posts! lol

(Chiefnerd, that is exactly how my 'obession' started - I got a local place to do the wet bit, then I enjoyed all the 'dry bits' and dressing, etc......since those days I have never looked back!).....

Last year I offered a 'day' at my friends place on detailing to DS3Club members,,,,,,but there was not enough interest, now I'm wondering if there might be!, but I#d be struggling for time this year, perhaps some time though.....

Great advice gents, superb stuff!

Regards,
                  Clive.
                  CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
                  DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

Thank you for all your hints and tips don't think I cleaned any of my cars like you guys do perhaps my DS3 will get a special treatment , If anyone would like to take a little time and give me some website links to them products suggested using Halfords website I know if I go there be shelf's upon shelf's of cleaning kit just want to make sure I buy the right stuff or perhaps Cblue or anyone else down south we could have a meet at Halfords lol

Comment

All by AutoGlym in Halfords. Polish has a red label, wax has a gold one and the glass stuff has a blue one- I'm crap with names lol

Comment

Should be:
                        • Red label: SRP - Super Resin Polish
                        • Gold label: Extra Gloss Protection
                        • Blue Label: Car Glass Polish

Would also recommend the Bumper & Trim gel, which is a green label, as there's a lot of 'trim' on the DS3...

Gav

Comment

hi all i do most of the above, at the moment i use a spray to dress the tyres but reading what you say about the gel will try that .
                          DS3 RACING | SUPERCHIPPED 233bhp/321nm | ITG INDUCTION

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the information off to Halfords I go

Comment

Originally posted by Quazzo View Post
                              Thanks for the information off to Halfords I go
                              Halfords are currently doing a 3 for the price of two on all car cleaning products
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X