Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to get rid of tar spots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way to get rid of tar spots?

I have a White / Black (roof) DS3 (my first white car!) and soon coming to realise that having a white car means washing it alot more often!
    The most frustrating thing at the moment is Tar Spots. The council are on a mission at the moment to re-tar every road in Powys (typical) and pretty much half of it is ending up on the car.
    I was hoping the G3 protection would make light work of removing them but its not the case & involves some serious elbow grease! So I polished her today with SRP in the hope that it will reduce the effort for future cleaning!

But whats the best tar spot remover to use, without risking damage to the paintwork & chrome?
    DS3 DSPORT + WHITE/BLACK

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...rt-tardis.html

http://www.autoglym.com/engb/product...6VQ=GD&Range=1
    e-HDi 110 DSport Plus Perla Nera Black Metallic

Comment

Yes, either of the above or Autobrite Just The Tonic will do it.

My advice is don't ever use elbow grease to remove tar spots (or anything else on your paint) as chances are you will leave some pretty serious swirl marks behind. A good tar remover should dissolve the majority of the tar without needing to aggitate the surface (very much).

Regards,
      Clive.
      CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
      DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

+ 1 Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover

I dab quite a lot on stubburn spots and let it work at bit before wiping away.

Great stuff!
        My DS3R3... nearly....
        New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

You can buy expensive tar removal products, or you can just use white spirit - much cheaper & just as effective!

Comment

Hi, will white spirit damage the paintwork??? Do you just wash the areas that the white spirit has been used on with your normal car wash shampoo/soap??? Thanks Charlie

Comment

WD40 also removes Tar, spray on and leave it to disolve the tar, tried it on my company van, worked a treat, however i wouldn't use it on my car though !!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                You can buy expensive tar removal products, or you can just use white spirit - much cheaper & just as effective!
                5 litres of Just the Tonic is only about £18! As Parker has said, WD40 will do it, will cost more and just might, only might, remove some clearcoat too!
                Regards,
                Clive.

Comment

Originally posted by CliveP View Post
                  5 litres of Just the Tonic is only about £18! As Parker has said, WD40 will do it, will cost more and just might, only might, remove some clearcoat too!
                  4 litres of white spirit, £7.99 from Wickes - & it has many other uses! Any product sold as a tar remover can be expected to contain some form of solvent - fancy packaging & something to make it smell nice don't improve performance.

I would hope Citroen's paint can stand up to a light application of a very mild solvent!

Comment

Fair point Dave.....I've never tried it, but I agree it has to be solvent based.....
                    Regards,
                    Clive.

Comment

cheers for the info guys!
                      DS3 DSPORT + WHITE/BLACK

Comment

Working...
                      X