Chrome trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome trim

Following today's wash I noticed the chrome side trims were almost matted after cleaning.

I used Valet Pro orange pre wash, foamed on then rinsed, followed by Zymol auto wash with a Megs lambswool mitt.

The paint around the trim was fine but the chrome trim dried matted like the water was dirty, if that makes sense?

I've managed to polish them up with *shudder* Autosol but I'm assuming the trim is chromed plastic? Strangely the other chrome trims were all fine. The car is brand new and I've washed the car twice before using the same products and methods and never had this issue.

What products are others using for the chrome trims and has anyone had this issue before?

I use Autobrite Citrus pre-wash, Autobrite Magifoam, Autobrite Banana Gloss shampoo with lambswool mitt, towel dried then Autobrite Project 32 as a LSP. Brings all the 'chrome' up nice and shiny
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Hi Beef,

I wonder where you got that routine from - good man!

Craig,

Don't put any chrome cleaners on the door trims, you'll potentially ruin them....I wonder if you've lifed some of the finish, hopefully it hasn't gone through...

Try the routine Beefmasta has suggested and let us know if it is then ok, if not, I'll see if I can work out something else...

Regards,
      Clive.
      CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
      DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

On my Ex's car I used to use a clay bay to buff up the chrome a real treat.
        ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
        Bigfeet's File Repository
        The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Cheers guys.

Clive, I'm aware it's only ot the best solution but rather than using a polish I opted for the "try a tiny bit on a small area" approach first.

It's brought back the shine nicely and not damaged it at all, although i reckon it needs a few coats of protection to avoid it happening again. Any suggestions for a decent sealant or wax for these trims?

Comment

Hi Craig,

Any decent wax you have should be fine - if you have it I'd suggest Colinite 915, hard as nails in terms of durability - apply very sparingly.

Regards,
            Clive.

Comment

Originally posted by CliveP View Post
              Hi Craig,

Any decent wax you have should be fine - if you have it I'd suggest Colinite 915, hard as nails in terms of durability - apply very sparingly.

Regards,
              Clive.
              I have collinite marques d'elegance which I could use or would you suggest a few layers of Natty's paste wax? I've found that to work very well on lighter cars.....

Comment

Hi Craig,

Either - if Natty's I'd definitely layer it at this time of year as it won't match the Colinite in terms of endurance but either is fine.

Great stuff, enjoy my friend.

Regards,
                Clive.

Comment

Working...
                X