Car polishing conversation with Clive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car polishing conversation with Clive

Well 1st off I must say a BIG thank you to Clive P for the telephone call he gave me last night, a call that lasted nearly 80 minutes.

The conversation was mainly based on machine polishing and weather I should invest in 1 myself, so will I hear you shout, too be very honest my thoughts change hourly – yes I will, no I won’t, yes I will, no I won’t – I don’t know

Clive thanks for the call yesterday and you will be the 1st to know what I end up doing

Thought so far
    DAS-6 PRO Dual Action Polisher
    Meguiars #205 - Ultra Finishing Polish
    5.5" HEX-LOGIC PAD - WHITE POLISHING PAD (5.5"inch) X 2
    5.5" HEX-LOGIC -BLACK FINISHING PAD (5.5"inch) X 2
    Masking tape

Can’t think of anything else but suggestion’s welcome

Forest-Sion

I think i'm right in saying that the Megs 205 is a cutting compound (not too harsh) so maybe add some 105 in there as well as that is the polish. If i'm right then big Props to CliveP as he has me hooked on detailing worlds forum and had lots of goodies myself for xmas lol.
    Now i'm just waiting for some good weather and my back to get sorted then I'll be doing some work on my DS3

Comment

You're very welcome for the chat Sion! Great to talk to you....list looks fine....You might only need one black pad...but hey ho, spares are no bad thing!

Hi Steve, can tell you've been learning my friend! Yes 205 is a mild cutting compound, but very versatile and finishes down to a gloss like finish easily and does not hologram as easily as some polishes (holograms only occur when using a rotary highly unlikely with a DA) - I like it because it's good for a beginner but also with technique which can be picked up over time is good for correcting too - as it is a non-diminishing polish you can work it on deeper RDS etc if needed with great results and still finish with a nice deep gloss.
      I think 105 is for the more experienced, but again it's strength is its versatility to me - you can correct serious flaws and with the right technique still finish down to a good gloss, but I use a rotary for this and the technique is harder to acheve to finish down - alternatively you can follow 105 with 205. 105 is a strong compound though, think it's 12 out of 12 on the cutting scale so caution is needed....so I'd only recommend someone getting this polish after building up their machining experience and technique.

Regards,
      Clive.
      Glad you've got hooked on DW!
      CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
      DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

Oops so I got my Megs the wrong way round then lol sorry Sion :confused:

Comment

Yay done it all ordered hopfuly i will get it all my next weekend.......I'm so happy happy happy

Comment

Great stuff Sion,

You know where to come if you want to get some tips on it! DA is a nice safe bet and you'll get great results.....

Might be worth another call and I'll recommend speeds / combinations / set times if you want......

Regards,
            Clive.
            CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
            DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

That will be awesome mate , i have been able to get my hands on a red vw pole that is due to be scraped so i can practise on that as well befor i go to my car

Comment

Working...
              X