X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Car cleaning

A few quick questions - mainly for our detailing mad Clive lol

These may be stupid, but keep with me lol.....:confused::confused:
    My dad went on a classic car hunt in England last week and arrived home with a 1974 Rover P6. He has his first car show on Monday and has asked me to give the car a good clean for him - As his new baby replaces me as the baby in the family, he is very keen to have her looking well. I use Autoglym on my DS3, I have used collinite wax a few times and I also bought a clay bar a few weeks back but haven't experimented yet lol.

The paintwork seems to be in very good condition, but giving the age of the car, would a clay bar be too harsh on the paint?
    There is plenty of chrome on her as well, most of which is 'swirly' - is there anything that can be done to bring a smoother finish/shine back to this?

Cheers!
    Polar white with black roof, black bellones - My Photies!!

Hi Pete,

Autoglym SRP will be fine.

Claybar should be fine too, a nice mild one and gently does it (I'm assuming none of the clearcoat has peeled, I'm pretty confident it won't have done).
    Chrome - in terms of ease try the Meguiars one (NXT if I recall correctly), available from Halfords, can't guarantee whether it will hide the swirls but worth a go by hand.

What colour is the paint? I wonder if a machine polish might suit her well

Regards,
    Clive.
    CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
    DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

Cheers Clive,

It was my intention to do it over the weekend, but he wanted it done last night lol. We done it with the SRP - i have to say, the difference it made to the paintwork was massive. The clay bar i bought, from memory, was Sonus (?) ultra fine, so I'm sure it would be grand. As for the clearcoat, it all seems grand too. Had to take a photo - chuffed with how it turned out!!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	355414
      Polar white with black roof, black bellones - My Photies!!

Comment

Originally posted by Petewete View Post
        Had to take a photo - chuffed with how it turned out!!
        Looking good!
        - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
        - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Working...
        X