Easy clean tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy clean tips?

Okay sad to say but getting a bit long in the tooth (50), working a new hectic, etc, in short a few health issues and not a lot of free time.

This means that car cleaning is likely to occur around once every 4-5 weeks that a maximum of 2-3 hours per session is available.

In the past I've gone the Mequiers and AutoGlym routes with the 207/307CC's, starting a session involving clay and applying all products in order etc.

However taking into account what I've said about lifestyle etc, and the time available, is there a basic cleaning regimen that can be used to get the best out of the yellow / black beastie and keep her looking good? If it was down to a decent single cleaning product and one wax or polish top coat I'd be very happy.

Of course a viable glass cleaner and something that will polish the dashboard without leaving fingerprints / dust off the cloth behind and stop the dust magnet effect.

Obviously nowhere near a detailing job but something that will look after the car, keep it looking smart, with minimal effort and cost.

Pipe dreaming maybe, but any tips from more experienced detailers or cleaners would be very much appreciated!
    Daron Brewood

DS3 Sport Plus - 'Yellow Hawk'
    CEO smartphonegurus.com
    Phone: HTC One, Nokia Lumia 920 / 925
    Cars:
    Mark II Cortina > Hillman Avenger > Datsun 120Y > Morris Ital > BL Maestro > Hyundai coupé > Rover 25 > MG ZR > Peugeot 307CC > 207 > 207CC > Citroen DS3 Sport+

Hi Daron (fellow Manc)

I am an avid detailer and something gets cleaned/wiped/buffed on my car every day come rain or shine.

A recent 6hr detail involved machine polishing with Scholl A15 on an orange pad, Clearkote moose machine glaze with a black pad followed by Permanon aircraft supershine brilliant then finally with a top coat of Dodo SNH. Trim with AF Revive, wheels sealed with AF Mint Rims and tyres with Perl. Car looks slicker than a slicky thing.

Car is good to go with a weekly QD now which takes about 10 minutes for the whole car. If you are interested in going down this route, we could always meet up as I'm sure you won't be too far away from me in Bury and we could discuss the best products to use with some demos to make life a little easier for you? Microfibres that are perfect for the gloss black interior for example??

PM me if you're interested?

Andy

Andy
    Andy DS3 Club's Resident OCD Detailer!
    Take a pride in your ride
    @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Hi Daron,

I'd take Andy up on that offer if I were you , he knows what he's doing.

Agree completely with Andy - the basic 'trick' is to get the car 'spot on' once - once it is prepped and protected then returning it to its former glory is relatively easy. Whilst Andy and I might pick different products (one of my best mate happens to be 'in the busiess') we still effectively end with the same result - glossy, deep reflections which are easily restored whenever you want to. My mate and I are big fans of the 'basic' approach, nothing is too difficult once you get the car in a fully prepped condition - and I'm sure Andy can help you out getting it to the fully prepped state, then you can easily maintain it from there.

Regards,
      Clive.
      CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
      DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

Originally posted by CliveP View Post
        Hi Daron,

I'd take Andy up on that offer if I were you , he knows what he's doing.

Agree completely with Andy - the basic 'trick' is to get the car 'spot on' once - once it is prepped and protected then returning it to its former glory is relatively easy. Whilst Andy and I might pick different products (one of my best mate happens to be 'in the busiess') we still effectively end with the same result - glossy, deep reflections which are easily restored whenever you want to. My mate and I are big fans of the 'basic' approach, nothing is too difficult once you get the car in a fully prepped condition - and I'm sure Andy can help you out getting it to the fully prepped state, then you can easily maintain it from there.

Regards,
        Clive.
        Thanks for the compliment Mr P.

Any news when the photoshoot will be published in AutoExpress??
        @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Hi Andy, offer very much appreciated and I'd love to take you up on it

At the moment though we are preparing to leave on a holiday down to Pembrokeshire so the next free day would be the 14th I think?

So we'd have to arrange something for then at the earliest. We can tie up via PM as we get closer.

So that leaves a few more queries:

- If I want to clean the car before we go away am I okay using my jet wash, and cleaning mitt with autoglym in the interim? Meguiers micro-fibre to dry off.
          - Are you willing to assist / spend time getting the car to that 'good' start condition?
          - How much will the outlay be for the products needed?
          - How much are we looking at for your services / assistance?

Feel free to reply via PM if you want to take this out of the wild

And cheers muchly for the offer!
          Daron Brewood

CEO smartphonegurus.com
          Cars:
          Mark II Cortina > Hillman Avenger > Datsun 120Y > Morris Ital > BL Maestro > Hyundai coupé > Rover 25 > MG ZR > Peugeot 307CC > 207 > 207CC > Citroen DS3 Sport+

Comment

Originally posted by RabidRacoon28 View Post
            Thanks for the compliment Mr P.

Any news when the photoshoot will be published in AutoExpress??
            Hi Andy,

I should hopefully find out this week - will let you know - I think they have these types of articles and then slot them in to fit around other items, etc, but as soon as I know I'll let you know....

Regards,
            Clive.
            CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
            DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

Hi Daron

Here is a recent detail I did on Jimbobs DS:

Started at 9am when Jimbob arrived as arranged and finished at 4pm

Car as it arrived:

Love these alloys even though dirty:

Swirl city:

Following procedures then took place:

Citrus pre rinse with Demon Shine Rapid Dirt Shifter
              Wheel-arches cleaned with Rapid Dirt Shifter and stiff brush
              Rinsed
              Snowfoamed with the rather excellent Orchard Autocare Cotton Candy, dirt simply dripping off the car:

Rinsed
              Washed using Farecla G3 detox shampoo with Carpro Merino wool mitt in 2 buckets
              with grit guards
              Rinsed
              De-tar with AutoFinesse Oblitarate
              Fall out remover with AutoBrite Purple Rain, amazing results from the white roof:

Clay with Bilt Hamber soft clay, this was just from the front n/s wing; most of the car was in this state:

Rinsed
              Wheels cleaned and fall out removed using Hot wheels Wonder wheels, rinsed then
              cleaned again with AutoFinesse Imperial
              Tyres cleaned with Bilt Hamber Surfex HD and stiff brush
              Washed again using Farecla G3 detox shampoo with Carpro Merino wool mitt in 2 buckets
              with grit guards
              Rinsed
              Patted dry with Chemical Guys Wooly Mammoth drying towel
              Machine polished first using Dodo medium pad and Scholl A15 compound to tackle swirls
              and light scratches, didnt make much of a difference so pulled out the Dodo heavy cut pad with Scholl S3 Gold:

Machine polished using Dodo finishing pad and Clearkote Moose machine glaze
              Permanon Aircraft sealant applied with lint free cloth by hand
              A LSP (last stage protection) of Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid
              Tyres dressed twice with undiluted Carpro Perl
              Wheels sealed with Planet Polish Wheel Seal and Shine
              All glass sealed with GTechniq G5
              All exterior trim and plastics protected with Angelwax Elixir
              Exhaust tip cleaned with fine grade wire wool and Bilt Hamber Surfex HD, sealed
              with AutoFinesse Mercury metal cream

Da dar, a simply slick DS3 now ready to put a big smile on Jimbobs face.

Just as slick as mine now:

I will send you a PM later on Sunday

Andy
              @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Completely and awesomly gobsmacked! Looking forward to the PM!
                Daron Brewood

CEO smartphonegurus.com
                Cars:

Comment

do mine please ,im not that far away in Preston hehehe I can travel , or I could just come along and watch for tips and advice , that finish looks awesome mate great job .
                  If in Doubt FLAT OUT!!!!!!!!

Comment

Andy if you or Clive were closer I'd be on your doorsteps for help and tips
                    sigpic

Comment

Well as it was Fathers day I decided to treat myself to a new cleaning microfibre mitt..... Which was a bad idea.

If you look here you can see the results of:

- Rince with pressure washer
                      - CLean with AutoGlym shampoo and conditioner
                      - Dried off with Meguiars super soaking up cloth thingy
                      - Meguiars detail kit and claying
                      - Meguiars paint cleaner
                      - Meguiars polish
                      - Meguiars carnuba wax

- Then inside hoovered and cleaned with a new microfibre mitt and glass cleaner

Tired and very sweaty but happy Not bad for an old bugger

Maybe not a full detailing job but I think it looks pretty good! Loads of jealous looks from step-son with his red sport plus (cleaned reluctantly ever 3-4 months or so.
                      Daron Brewood

CEO smartphonegurus.com
                      Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by BEEFERS View Post
                        do mine please ,im not that far away in Preston hehehe I can travel , or I could just come along and watch for tips and advice , that finish looks awesome mate great job .
                        Hi mate

PM sent

Andy
                        @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Originally posted by dbrewood View Post
                          Well as it was Fathers day I decided to treat myself to a new cleaning microfibre mitt..... Which was a bad idea.

If you look here you can see the results of:

- CLean with AutoGlym shampoo and conditioner
                          - Dried off with Meguiars super soaking up cloth thingy
                          - Meguiars detail kit and claying
                          - Meguiars paint cleaner
                          - Meguiars polish
                          - Meguiars carnuba wax

- Then inside hoovered and cleaned with a new microfibre mitt and glass cleaner

Tired and very sweaty but happy Not bad for an old bugger

Maybe not a full detailing job but I think it looks pretty good! Loads of jealous looks from step-son with his red sport plus (cleaned reluctantly ever 3-4 months or so.
                          Looks good Daron

Andy
                          @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

And reply sent (possibly twice due to auto-log out).

Does not look too bad, hard work but enjoyed!
                            Daron Brewood

CEO smartphonegurus.com
                            Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by dbrewood View Post
                              And reply sent (possibly twice due to auto-log out).

Does not look too bad, hard work but enjoyed!
                              Hi Daron

Got your reply and have since replied.

This is my effort today after a quick 20 min spruce up:

And this is a pic of the roof after this weeks Manc rain:

Andy
                              Last edited by Clean Your Ride; 16-06-2013, 18:46.
                              @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Working...
                              X