My cleaning regimen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cleaning regimen

Well after Andy did such a superb job of detailing the car last I'm now in the process of buying kit and preparing a cleaning regimen. I thought it might be of interest as to where I'm going with it all.

There are three cleaning routines that are being developed:

DUST REMOVAL (interim clean):
    • Microfibre cloths and Demon Shine
    • 2-3 light sprays per panel, wipe then flip over mf and buff to a shine
    • Damp mf only on glass and buff

QUICK CLEAN (target weekly):
    • Rapid Dirt Shifter spray all over, leave for 5 mins
    • Jet wash off
    • Demon shine while wet
    • Dry and buff with mf cloth

FULL CLEAN (target every 4 weeks):
    • Rapid Dirt Shifter spray all over, leave for 5 mins
    • Jet wash off
    • 50ml of the X1 shampoo into a bucket and froth up coffee machine style with the jetwash.
    • De-tar (if needed) with auto-finesse obliterate tar remover
    • Wash 2 bucket method with grit guard in second bucket
    • Use sheepskin mitt in straight lines, starting from the roof and working down. After every panel, roof, boot, bonnet, door etc, rinse mitt in clean water and load up with fresh clean shampoo water. When down to the chrome baguettes on the side, stop using the sheepskin mitt and continue underneath the baguettes with the mf noodle mitt.
    • Rinse with jetwash
    • Dry off / buff with mf cloth (switch to woolly mammoth once it arrives
    • Tyres and black trim with PERL / Autoglym bumper protector
    • Clean alloys with auto finesse imperial wheel cleaner
    • Seal alloys with Carplan sealant
    • Damp mf cloth around the interior of the car

So far only the quick clean done due to time and waiting on a delivery from Shinearama. From them I've ordered:

Alloy Cleaner - £24.95
    PERL - £10.95
    Chemical Guys Woolly Mammoth - £18.95
    Eurow mf cloths yellow - £1.85 (x5) = £9.25
    Daytona Speedmaster brush - £13.95
    Merino Lambswooll mitt - £16.00
    De-tar compound: - £8.95
    Detailer bottle: (For Demon Shine / Finesse Alloy) - £3.99 (x2) = £7.98
    Foam trigger head: (For Demon Shine / Finesse Alloy) - £1.99 (x2) = £3.98

Total price inc VAT and carriage: £113.68

On top of that I've bought a Kärcher K2 Lite Compact Pressure Washer that was on offer at Homebase and a high pressure hand pump spray. Managed to get both for a £46.94 due a special offer in store plus it being a less 15% day and using up £21 quids worth of Nectar points we had.
    Last edited by dbrewood; 20-07-2013, 18:31.
    Daron Brewood

DS3 Sport Plus - 'Yellow Hawk'
    CEO smartphonegurus.com
    Phone: HTC One, Nokia Lumia 920 / 925
    Cars:
    Mark II Cortina > Hillman Avenger > Datsun 120Y > Morris Ital > BL Maestro > Hyundai coupé > Rover 25 > MG ZR > Peugeot 307CC > 207 > 207CC > Citroen DS3 Sport+

As I said today was a QUICK CLEAN, and the only issue was that the 1L of RDS only did the one car wash! Not sure if I had the hand spray pumped up too far or just put on too much! So more will have to be bought!

Car looks nice and sparkly again, and looking forward to doing the FULL CLEAN once goodies arrive and I hit my 4 week cycle.
    Daron Brewood

CEO smartphonegurus.com
    Cars:
    Mark II Cortina > Hillman Avenger > Datsun 120Y > Morris Ital > BL Maestro > Hyundai coupé > Rover 25 > MG ZR > Peugeot 307CC > 207 > 207CC > Citroen DS3 Sport+

Comment

Oh I still have to order the X1 Wash and Gloss shampoo yet
      Daron Brewood

CEO smartphonegurus.com
      Cars:

Comment

Think you mean regime? these typos are pain aint they LOL
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Erm no I meant regimen as per 'A regimen is a plan or a regulated course of action, designed to give a positive result'.
          Daron Brewood

CEO smartphonegurus.com
          Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by dbrewood View Post
            And now ordered.

One question - what is recommended for cleaning the interior? In particular the carbon fibre dash and plastic work?
            Daron Brewood

CEO smartphonegurus.com
            Cars:

Comment

I knew what you meant, I think it's since I started reading the Telegraph !
              sigpic

Comment

As I said today was a QUICK CLEAN, and the only issue was that the 1L of RDS only did the one car wash! Not sure if I had the hand spray pumped up too far or just put on too much!
                Hi pal

I'm liking your dedication my young Padawan. I wonder where you got all of those product recommends from lol??
                Anyway mate, I get probably 3 cars out of the 1L RDS so spray more sparingly. A slight coating per panel is all that is required. Nice to see you got the Karcher. It's a great little machine. Just remember to connect the hose, turn water on and squeeze the trigger to get water flowing before you switch on. It will help preserve the motor.

I'm hoping you will find it much easier now to clean your yellow hawk after its detail last week.

As always Daron, any questions or queries, I'm only to happy to help. Only less than 10 mins away afterall.

Andy

Andy
                Andy DS3 Club's Resident OCD Detailer!
                Take a pride in your ride
                @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Just found this pal for X1 Extreme, too late now I know, sorry

20% OFF ALL PRODUCTS UNTIL 25TH JULY 2013 - USE DISCOUNT CODE XJULYDISCOUNT ON CHECKOUT AND USE CAPITALS
                  @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Erm no I meant regimen as per 'A regimen is a plan or a regulated course of action, designed to give a positive result'.
                    You learn something every day- well done LFC, keep reading the Telegraph!!
                    I'll stick to the Daily Mirror:rolleyes:
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                      Why doesn't that surprise me?

JB

Comment

Originally posted by RabidRacoon28 View Post
                        I'm liking your dedication my young Padawan. I wonder where you got all of those product recommends from lol??
                        Anyway mate, I get probably 3 cars out of the 1L RDS so spray more sparingly. A slight coating per panel is all that is required. Nice to see you got the Karcher. It's a great little machine. Just remember to connect the hose, turn water on and squeeze the trigger to get water flowing before you switch on. It will help preserve the motor.

I'm hoping you will find it much easier now to clean your yellow hawk after its detail last week.

As always Daron, any questions or queries, I'm only to happy to help. Only less than 10 mins away afterall.
                        Oooh I make it to Padawan! Yay! Yep damned good recommendations! Right definitely too keen on the RDS indeed then, wonder if I had the bottle pumped too high or the mist too fine as it hardly seemed to coat anything. Going to buy a couple of bottles today and experiment as and when.

Yep the Karcher is much better than the old jet wash and much easier to carry etc. Good price as well which made my day! Yeah the operational tips were noted, exactly the same with the old jet wash so not difficult to remember.

Definitely easier to clean, just need the rest of the kit which hopefully will be here next week. Next issues will be clearing out room in the garage for it all and possibly having to put up some new shelves handle it!

I might give you a nudge over that paint touching up when it comes to it as last time I did any of that I messed it up a bit! The touch up paint as well as the drinks holder and the foot rest are on order from Aidan @ Partsworld.

Originally posted by RabidRacoon28 View Post
                        Just found this pal for X1 Extreme, too late now I know, sorry
                        20% OFF ALL PRODUCTS UNTIL 25TH JULY 2013 - USE DISCOUNT CODE XJULYDISCOUNT ON CHECKOUT AND USE CAPITALS
                        No matter I'll survive!

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                        Hmm used to live the Mirror as a child, Andy Capp still in there?
                        Daron Brewood

CEO smartphonegurus.com
                        Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
                          Why doesn't that surprise me?

JB
                          I am a mere working class man Bobsy- youre a bit further up the social scale are ya?
                          Goodie for you LOL
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

I might give you a nudge over that paint touching up when it comes to it as last time I did any of that I messed it up a bit!
                            Yeah, just give me a shout pal, anytime
                            @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Cheers bro!
                              Daron Brewood

CEO smartphonegurus.com
                              Cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X