Pesky swirls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pesky swirls

Last time I washed my car I noticed that there are some slight swirls everywhere on the paintwork. I've probably washed it four times in the five months I've had it Ann used the two bucket method and used Auto Glym SRP to finish everytime. Never clayed the car fully though.

Saw a product for removing swirls from maguirs, should I shouldn't I?

sent from my Sony Xperia Z1
    Phil Moran

sigpic

I have the same issue Phil, slight swirls despite 2bm and foam pre washes etc
    sigpic

Comment

They are renowned as having soft paint, and I don't think it takes much to inflict swirls

Comment

You are quite correct, the paint is very soft and easily susceptible to swirls even despite the best safe washing and drying techniques.

Meguiars do a swirl remover called Swirl X. This says it can be applied by hand or by a DA. I know the application by a machine will be successful but can't comment on an application by hand. Tried many scratch/swirl removers by hand in the past with hardly any success whatsoever.

£14 isn't a great deal to pay to try it out I suppose

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001UFEBA..._ws_gb?ie=UTF8

Sent from my Experia Z tablet using Tapatalk
        Andy DS3 Club's Resident OCD Detailer!
        Take a pride in your ride
        @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Has anyone tried this..........Andy lol

http://http://www.autobritedirect.co...r-glaze-1.html
          DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
          Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Originally posted by Gazski66 View Post
            Has anyone tried this..........Andy lol

http://http://www.autobritedirect.co...r-glaze-1.html
            I haven't Gaz (not tried any AB products actually) but reading their overview it reads like it is just going to mask the swirls as a "quick fix" by filling and not removing much the same as SRP would do but also providing a decent wet look shine in the process.

" Extreme Glaze uses only the finest ingredients which helps clean and repair minor imperfections such as swirl marks, water marks and fine scratches with its heavy filling properties on all paint finishes including light and dark coloured paints including metallics to leave a brilliant gloss, amazing shine and depth with a durable finish. Extreme Glaze maintains the gloss on your car by filling swirls and marks with a quick and easy gloss finish liquid Glaze. If you want a "Quick fix" to elimate those nasty swirl spiderweb marks and giving you a easy application of a wet look shine and gloss then Extreme Glaze will be your choice of product"

@cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Thats what i thought Andy, ordered some cherry glaze today and ultraslick so see what results i get from them

Comment

Originally posted by Gazski66 View Post
                Thats what i thought Andy, ordered some cherry glaze today and ultraslick so see what results i get from them
                Have you not tried the BSD yet?

@cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Cherry Glaze works well Gaz - work it in a little, by hand, then buff off of course. The Ultraslick will seal it in to help it last longer and give some more wet look to it. I know I'm AB through and through but CG is probably the jewel in the AB crown - great by hand, even better by machine, and a great all rounder, even without sealing it in, it will look great (just not last as long) as it is a combined polish/some protection.
                  I know a lot of valeters that use it as it allows them decent results quickly, which is what those guys are all about (and needs re-doing if not sealed, which again these guys want!)... not like Andy and I who will happily contemplate the Universe whilst we spend three days polishing 'properly' (well we'll kid ourselves it's proper,like!)

Of course the only true swirl removal is polishing....and unless we're super human we need the help of a machine to remove the pesky little blighters!

Regards,
                  Clive.
                  CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
                  DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

Originally posted by RabidRacoon28 View Post
                    Have you not tried the BSD yet?

Originally posted by CliveP View Post
                    Cherry Glaze works well Gaz - work it in a little, by hand, then buff off of course. The Ultraslick will seal it in to help it last longer and give some more wet look to it. I know I'm AB through and through but CG is probably the jewel in the AB crown - great by hand, even better by machine, and a great all rounder, even without sealing it in, it will look great (just not last as long) as it is a combined polish/some protection.
                    I know a lot of valeters that use it as it allows them decent results quickly, which is what those guys are all about (and needs re-doing if not sealed, which again these guys want!)... not like Andy and I who will happily contemplate the Universe whilst we spend three days polishing 'properly' (well we'll kid ourselves it's proper,like!)

Of course the only true swirl removal is polishing....and unless we're super human we need the help of a machine to remove the pesky little blighters!

Regards,
                    Clive.
                    No not yet Andy, been too busy at work but will as soon as i wash car :

Thanks Clive some great info, cant wait for some decent weather to give it a go

Comment

Originally posted by RabidRacoon28 View Post
                      You are quite correct, the paint is very soft and easily susceptible to swirls even despite the best safe washing and drying techniques.

Meguiars do a swirl remover called Swirl X. This says it can be applied by hand or by a DA. I know the application by a machine will be successful but can't comment on an application by hand. Tried many scratch/swirl removers by hand in the past with hardly any success whatsoever.

£14 isn't a great deal to pay to try it out I suppose

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001UFEBA..._ws_gb?ie=UTF8

Just did a quick YouTube search and came across this http://youtu.be/-RCZnH0jDSw looks pretty convincing and think its worth a punt.
                      Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by moranphotography View Post
                        Just did a quick YouTube search and came across this http://youtu.be/-RCZnH0jDSw looks pretty convincing and think its worth a punt.
                        Yikes, tag left on cloth and bottle lay on boot lid. No wonder the paintwork is in that condition. I'm not entirely convinced that it would be that good by hand. Please by all means have a go and show the results before and after but a machine polish is the only true way to completely be rid of the swirls. Is there anybody near you with a machine polisher?

@cleanyourride_uk

Comment

No idea really, think I'll give it a go, hopefully at the weekend I will have time
                          Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

I did some more YouTube viewing of both the cherry glaze and swirlx and edging mite towards the cherry glaze as more people here seem to have used it.

What better, beading of water or sheeting? Have seen the cherry glaze sheets the water and other products seem to bead the water.

Also when in the wash process should I use the CG? Should it go after the SRP or replace it?

Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by moranphotography View Post
                              I did some more YouTube viewing of both the cherry glaze and swirlx and edging mite towards the cherry glaze as more people here seem to have used it.

What better, beading of water or sheeting? Have seen the cherry glaze sheets the water and other products seem to bead the water.

Also when in the wash process should I use the CG? Should it go after the SRP or replace it?

The AB Cherry Glaze is a AIO polish so it would replace the SRP in the cleaning process. You don't want to be polishing your car twice.

Keep the SRP for little emergencies. Paint from other cars on wing mirrors or bumpers for example.

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
                              @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Working...
                              X