Help, which order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, which order?

HB So in the halfords sale I bought the clay mitt, meguuairs deep crystal paint cleaner, autoglym super resin polish. I already have a g3 resin superwax.
    How shall I go about using the products and cleaning the car? I expected the paint cleaner to be like a shampoo I would use with the mitt once washed once, but instructions say otherwise so now I don't know when to use the mitt.

Please help a cleaning noob who just wants a shiny car!

Righty ho lets get started.

Firstly give your car a wash. 2BM preferably and leave it wet. Next get some ph neutral shampoo that doesn't contain any wax and fill a bucket with it and water to get it really foamy. This is the time for using the clay mitt. Dunk mitt into the shampoo bucket then make a pass on your chosen panel with the pink side of the mitt. You are now getting the shampoo onto the car where it will act as a lube for the mitt. Dunk mitt back into bucket and this time use the clay side of the mitt on the panel. When done, rinse that panel with a hose. Repeat this method until whole car has been "clayed".

Please see demo video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vu2...e_gdata_player

Next, i would pat dry the car, omit the Megs paint cleaner (a DS is not old enough to start needing its paintwork restoring imo) then apply the AG SRP. Apply to ONE panel at a time. You stated you already had the SRP so incase it's the old formula just one panel at a time. Apply, wait for haze then buff off with a clean de-tagged mf cloth.

Once whole car has been polished, that is the time for shine. The next stage to protect that shine and obviously your paintwork is the wax application. I have not long since tested the super resin wax after it was kindly sent to me by Farecla and it is a fantastically easy wax to use. Same process as the SRP application and you won't go wrong. Less is more with wax. You will be tempted to put loads on as thinking is that this will protect it better but it wont. A very light application is all that's needed with wax. If you put loads on, it will take ages to haze and you will buff 90% of it off with the mf cloth anyway. Happy cleaning and don't forget to post up some pictures of the end result.

Andy

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Clean Your Ride; 08-03-2014, 11:21.
    Andy DS3 Club's Resident OCD Detailer!
    Take a pride in your ride
    @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Is that clay mit the same as clay baring?
      sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
      Third time around.
      Work in Progress

Comment

Originally posted by Rickzayne View Post
        Is that clay mit the same as clay baring?
        Yes Rick but a helluva lot easier
        @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

How good is it for removing tar? As that usually requires a few passes to get it off... Also what happens with all the grit? Is that stuck on the glove?

Do you need to buy one each time you use it?
          sigpic.

Third time around.
          Work in Progress

Comment

Originally posted by Rickzayne View Post
            How good is it for removing tar? As that usually requires a few passes to get it off... Also what happens with all the grit? Is that stuck on the glove?

Do you need to buy one each time you use it?

Opened up and one side (pink) is a MF type of fabric

With the other side (black) feeling quite rubbery

Washed car 2BM, then decided to use mitt with a shampoo (G3 Detox), firstly loading up the mitt with the soapy water and applying it with the pink side.

Another dunk into the water then, flip the mitt over and use rubbery side on the paintwork.

Initially can hear the mitt rubbing over the dirt and contaminants but after about 20 seconds or so, no more noise indicating that mitt is working.

Rinse with open ended hose to leave this. (Only left hand side of bonnet done at this stage)

Onto the base of the passenger front door. Note the tar stains not shifted from the earlier 2BM.

After a pass with the mitt and a rinse

Bootlid before

Bootlid after

Base of drivers door, before

Base of drivers door, after

Some spots left on the car after the initial wash were tar deposits which were easily removed with the mitt.

The mitt is able to be re-used many times after use. Just give a good rinse and leave to dry naturally. Once dry, put back into the bag it came in. Using the mitt on the car is probably a twice a year job depending on individual circumstances.

A good tip is to use the bag method before using the mitt and then after. This will prove that the mitt has worked.

@cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Looks like I need this.... Annoying using a tiny bit of clay -.-
              sigpic.

Third time around.
              Work in Progress

Comment

Much safer too as less likely to get dropped. If it is then it's just a quick rinse through then back in the bucket again. Piece of clay would need to be binned.

@cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Thanks for the advice Andy, my car was sparkly clean within 2 hours. I thought the SRP was really good and the clay mitt was amazing at getting off the tar spots! My heart always breaks a little when I clean my car as I notice little chips in the paintwork. Some inconsiderate *beep* dinked my car above the front wheel arch. Luckily it hasn't chipped away the paint, just scuffed it, but the it's quite noticeable as the curve in the body above the arch doesn't run smooth

Oo, a question, I got some wax on the black plastic trim round the windows when I washed it a while ago, and now the black bits always go discoloured. Can anyone suggest how I restore it? I use a black cockpit interior cleaner which just finishes it off but it doesn't permanently blacken it.

I can't upload a photo on here of my car, my phone doesn't seem to like it.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dink Pepper.

Gummi Pflege is great on the black rubber around the windows. A little goes a long way.

Glad you got on with the mitt. It really does make a difference.

Last edited by Clean Your Ride; 09-03-2014, 18:43.
                    @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

I've uploaded some photos to photobucket, let's see if this works...

Comment

Looks good. Liking the roof👍

@cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Looks good but missing a club sticker or 2
                          DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
                          Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Lovely clean car
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks Andy, it's more the other black bits round the window which are plastic, the bit next to the sharks fin on the door... Would the product you recommended be ok for that?

I'm enjoying this sunny weather and how sparkly and clean my car has stayed!

Comment

Working...
                              X