Cycle Carrier / Roof bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycle Carrier / Roof bars

Does anyone have the roof bars + / - the cycle carrier?

Seems a touch expensive:

Transverse Roof Bars = £149
    Cycle carrier x 2 = £52 x 2 = £104

Total = £263

Any experience of the dealers being willing to discount accessories?

Could do worse than ask our friendly dealer John Nicol on this site

James

Comment

Not an answer to your question but I decided that the roof bars and cycle carriers were too much of a hassle, and loading bikes on a windy day posed too much of a risk to me paintwork!

If you can fit yourself then a towbar and cycle carrier are a better option I reckon

bar and electrics are about £200 if you fit yourself - fitting is here http://ds3club.co.uk/showthread.php?...=1841#post1841

£23 gets you the carrier http://www.towsure.com/product/416-C...unting_Carrier

If you decide to go with roof bars then look here http://ds3club.co.uk/showthread.php?135-Roof-Bars

cheers
      Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

Thanks very much, I'll check those out and see what my local dealer says

Comment

Downside to fitting roof bars is that you'll have to replace the entire plastic strip that runs each side of the roof, and as I understand it the ones that work with the roof bars only come in black, But talk to John Nicol as he's our resident parts manager and give excellent discounts and superb service.

Comment

Yeah, as often is the case there's always a choice between practicality and aesthetics!

Comment

and if you go for the tow-bar mounted one dont buy that cheap rack, youv'e spent a lot so far so buy a propper one

Comment

that cheap rack of mine has been in weekly use for the last six years, and done a few two bike long journeys - granted it's been resprayed once but it's still going strong. It comes with a strap that goes over the top of the hatch when two bikes are carried, but it doesn't fit so well on DSs with a spoiler
                Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

The plastics strips that you will need if you use roof bars were about £25-30 I don't remember the exact cost.

I went for the roof bars as I already had 2 sets of Thule cycle carriers so it was easier just to get the roof bars.

Didn't like the look of 2 black stripes down the roof when I first fitted them but have got used to it now and don't really notice them any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Owd git View Post
                    that cheap rack of mine has been in weekly use for the last six years, and done a few two bike long journeys - granted it's been resprayed once but it's still going strong. It comes with a strap that goes over the top of the hatch when two bikes are carried, but it doesn't fit so well on DSs with a spoiler
                    wasn't dissing yours but i would buy a pendle type (copy or real), ive seen damage to cars and bikes off cheap racks (we have a bike shop ) yes sometimes they havn't been strapped properly but if your wheels drop into slots its much more stable

Comment

no offence taken - I wouldn't go near those racks that attach to the rear of the car with straps and stuff - you know the sort that you find on motorway roundabouts with bikes still attached

I did have a Pendle 3 bike on a Xantia years ago but it weighed so much that the car had to self level without bikes on! Perhaps they're a bit lighter these days!

I've found that the cheap ball mount is fine providing that you take care to position the bike (and pedals) carefully and use plenty of proper straps, not bungees

Comment

We use a Thule Xpress Pro 970 on the back of the Volvo- it clamps onto the towbar ball very securely, and doesn't need strapping onto the car. It's amazingly light yet strong, and folds up very neatly. Great piece of kit.

I don't have a towbar on the DS3, but it takes my folding Montague Paratrooper very nicely with the rear seats down.

Comment

Working...
                        X