Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ds3 1.6 engine rattling at high speeds

Hi everyone
    Just wondering if any one else has experienced the below issue like me and know what the issue is??

Got a diesel 1.6 D Style Plus Airdream 14 plate ...
    Had it approx 14 weeks now and 3 weeks ago whilst accelerating from a 50mph zone into a 70 the engine started rattling/vibrating (the same feeling you get whwn in the wrong gear) it did this between 65-70mph on a motorway, and stopped after about 10seconds. I continued to accelerate then it happened again the next day, again when at approx 65-70mph.

I took it into the dealership under the warranty and they checked it out via a diagnostic test, and surprise surprise, no fault was found. They advised to bring it back in if it happened again.

3 days later, it happened again .. then a few more days later ... again (all at high speeds of 65-70mph)

Now its actually doing it every day, seems to be always between 65-7-mph and happens on any road (up or downhill) also with and without cruise control activated. (Also with and without a/c and fans on etc - and the with & without the radio being on etc.)

I've booked it in with the dealer as it only happens once a day - first thing on a morning on the 1st start up/switch off - so it happens seemingly when the engine is cold from overnight (just what I want first thing on a morning). They stated when i booked it in that as it may not happen on a road test (as id drive it to the Citroen dealership from cold) that they may have to keep it in overnight, and before we can go any further they need to experience the fault happening before they know what it is.

To be honest I think that's wrong, as its clearly a trust issue, I'm saying and explaining in full what's happening, surely they shouldn't have to see it happening to believe its happening before looking into it??

Also they're going to give me a courtesy car which is free but I have to pay a £10 insurance fee per day I have the car - how is this my fee to pay when its not my fault its happening??

If anyone can shead any light on this, it would be grateful.

NOTE: there are no lights showing on the dash and they don't come on during the fault etc.

Exactly same happened to me, kept happpening for a couple of weeks or so, once or twice a day around 60-65 mph. Someone said change fuel to BP ultimax, so i did, that's about 6 months ago, a further 20,000 miles. Not missed a beat since then, engine feels smoother in general too, and slightly higher mpg too helping to offset extra price, worth it to me.

Comment

surely the engine cannot just want expensive fuel in it to fix the fault? that's ridiculous ... it's got to be a fault that makes it do this??

Comment

I'm trying to help, ridiculous is a bit harsh, might not be that, but maybe worth a try?

Comment

Can I ask what gear you're in when doing 65-70mph and this occurs ? I've not experienced this on either of mine and don't recall reading about it on here either
          sigpic

Comment

To be honest it is not a trust issue. Modern cars are extremely complex machines. There could be multiple faults that all give very similar symptoms. You have to know what a problem is in order to fix it. When no fault is logged on the computer you really do need to experience it to even begin to troubleshoot the problem. Not so much a matter of not believing it is there but in knowing what it is and where to look. Nothing personal but operators descriptions of problems are universally woefully lacking from a mechanical standpoint. That is not being derogatory they just do not have the specific knowledge base. An intermittent problem is just that intermittent you can't diagnose it if it is not there!

From what you have written it seems that the dealer is treating you fairly at this point. Now it being Citroen that will most likely change in the near future. Good luck
            Originally posted by cyclone
            It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
            Originally posted by Broda
            I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Working...
            X