Dealer Taking My Trousers Down???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer Taking My Trousers Down???

My DS3 is 15 months old and covered 23k of motorway miles.

It is having its 2nd service done and just had a phone call saying it needs new discs and pads and it will cost £260 .... "Do you authorize this Sir?"

I asked what measurements are on the discs and pads .......... "please hold" ..........

The pads are less than 50% worn and discs have worn 1.5mm (0.75mm on each face). The discs are excessively lipped and need changing along with new pads the Dealer tells me.

Have i entered the twilight zone of Citroen Dealerships or are they right in what they are saying? Seems utterly bonkers to me.

I have declined their offer and will take it to a trusted garage next door to my office for advise i can trust.

Sorry if I come across wrong but what part is "bonkers"?
    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Sorry ..... cant quite get my head round this, never changed a set of discs or pads on any vehicle under 60k miles and this is the smallest lightest car we've ever owned.

For such low miles and young age, the pads are fine but told the discs are worn out with such a small lip.

Perhaps my age is getting the better of me and im out of touch. Used to be that you got a couple of pad changes before even looking at the discs.

Edit
      Having thought a little:

1st Citroen Ive ever owned so not used to their ways, but this is completely abnormal based on my previous car history

Hyundai iX35 ... 30 months 36k no pads or discs
      Ford Mondeo ... 25 months 26k no pads or discs
      Mini Cooper S ... 24 months 32k no pads or discs
      Audi A3 ... 24 months 38k no pads or discs
      Nissan Navara ... 24 months 50k+ no pads or discs
      Last edited by Coupese; 23-09-2014, 09:51.

Comment

My discs and pads last about 10k...

Lel

Comment

Euro Car Parts have a special on brakes today.

Comment

To answer original post Coupese- i would certainly get another opinion
            My first DS3 THP the discs and first set pads were still going good at 23k miles, probably would have made another 4000 miles to its 2 yr service (Part exed it)

My current THP on 18k miles and pads and discs seem fine to me. At first service they were %60 worn at 12k miles. Should get at least 24k till second service, and thats after kwik suggested changing them at 6k miles

Its all money for the suppliers, so in their interest to change them often.

Not suggesting you wait long as after all brakes are the most important thing on the car, but doesnt a warning light come on if the pads are that worn down?
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

The distance the car has covered is irrelevant, its the driving style and journey type that matter. To that end its impossible to say via a web forum whether they are correct in what they say (or not).

As CB said, get a few more opinions or just play it safe and get them changed, being wrapped round a tree is a little too late to regret it.

Comment

My discs and pads lasted just less than 25,000 miles, majority being motorway to. Never had a new car that's needed brakes at only 11 months old lol. Bought parts from a local auto factors for £50 and fitted in under an hour. My advice, don't use citroen as the OE parts are as soft as butter!!!

Comment

Just got home and had time to properly looked at the paperwork.

The front pads are 30% worn and the front discs are marked as excessively lipped. The top of the inner side of each disc does have a crusty lip of brake pad dust that crumbs off in my fingers.

The 30% wear on the front pads at 23k miles is indicative of how the wife drives the car on her commute. All tyres are original .

As a 1st time Citroen owner this is new territory for me in car ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly Guy View Post
                    being wrapped round a tree is a little too late to regret it.
                    I've lost a friend this way. Safe than sorry; always.
                    Aka:
                    Alex

:ds3:
                    Blue Phoenix
                    DStyle+ 1.6 e-HDi

Comment

Superfly Guy .... Going to measure the discs myself with a micrometer, soon at they hit the 20mm thick tolerance limit they will be changed instantly. Having looked, the EBC discs have the same 22/20 rating so not go against that specification.

Comment

I picked mine from Amazon, both the Greenstuffs and the drilled/grooved disks.

Comment

My DS3 is on 22k miles and is also just over 15m old, I'm fully expecting Citroen to tell me that it needs new discs/pads at it's second free service at 25k miles..... I've driven this car the same way I drove my 2 Astra's and neither of them needed discs at this early point in their life.
                          sigpic

Comment

I know not much about fixing cars, but someone at dealer told me discs wear out much quicker nowadays due to pads being made of harder material including metals.

Comment

I had mine changed at 10,000 - The brakes were practically non-existent so it could be possible
                              sigpic

:bow:1.6 Red D-Style+:ds3:

Comment

Working...
                              X