No announcement yet.

A little advice for a female n00b pls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little advice for a female n00b pls!

Hi! Sooo in May we decided to order our dream car and purchased a brand new DS3 1.6 e-HDi 115 Airdream Dsport in Ink Blue with the Polar white roof and mirror casings. It is our 'no kids allowed car'.

As you can imagine it stands out as it is beautiful, unfortunately I am now worrying that it stands out too much as sometime between christmas eve and boxing day there was an attempted theft on it. I have a large rear garden which has a hard standing drive way on it, same as all the properties, these are then accessed by public access roads. Our is on the corner and very open, never had any troubles so never thought anything of it. Family car was on the hardstanding and the DS3 was on the grass with its driver side up against the wall. There was just enough room to squeeze the ds3 out of the driveway if someone was determined enough.
    First initial thought was vandalism through jealousy as it is a small village, but once I started looking at it and common sense kicked in, I realised it wasn't vandalism because the window had been popped out the glass was on the floor. Closer look made me realise there was several points around it where they had tried to crowbar the window off (see pic below, you can actually see how open the rear garden is there, it was up against the wall pictured in the background, I had moved it to nearer the house)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	10251957_682478278534928_8431455390558600920_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	367302
    There was nothing in the vehicle, absolutely nothing other than a travel cot in the boot and coupled together the care they took round the paintwork I can only come to conclusion that this was an attempted theft. So my questions are why did the alarm not go off as I've checked my paperwork again and it says it has an anti-theft alarm? Is attempted theft a common thing on DS3's? Is there vulnerability on the rear windows?
    The car went on holiday to my mums as there was little more they could do on boxing day other than weatherproof it and then yesterday they repaired it, I'm going to get it tonight and will always make sure it is blocked in by the other car but I've already had a fencing company out to have it all fenced up with largegates, something I had previously avoided because it will limit my vision getting off the drive. I'm so paranoid now though

Thank you, sorry it's a bit long winded
    Last edited by Lacey; 30-12-2014, 09:30.

Sorry to hear about your attempted theft and although extremely annoying at least the car was not actually stolen which I am sure wold have been a lot worse. As for the alarm not going off this probably did not happen as they had not actually gained form what I can tell access to the interior of the vehicle for the sensors to pick it up. If they had got in to try and steal the car they would have most likely needed the ignition key as well as there is also a transponder code built into the keys.

Hence when you loose your keys you need to go to the dealer who has the code to re-programmer the ignition keys. Hence there are more break-ins to houses to get car keys as they are required to start modern day cars. Never leave your car keys near the front door and always out of sight as it has been known for thieves to get hold of them through letter boxes with wire coat hangers.

I would not get paranoid about it all as you can only do so much. CCTV may be another option if you think it would help. Hope you get everything repaired and looking good again

Comment

One word scum

Comment

Things like this always pit into the bottom of your stomach but take heart from the fact your DS3 is still there and it resisted. The Alarms would not have fired because the doors were not jammed open and the was no movement inside detected.

I am wondering if this was a theft attempt as I cannot not see what advantage the thieves would have got but trying to pry off the glass, my thought is that something else happened to the car and it was hit by something. What that was will be impossible to say.
        Last edited by Bigfeet; 05-01-2015, 13:09.
        ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
        Bigfeet's File Repository
        The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Was the body work around the glass damaged or marked in any way?

This happend to one of my work cars. I that that sickening feeling when I saw the damage but found the doors locked and nothing stolen. Being confused and assuming vandalism I then realised there was no brick or obvious item laying on my drive to do any damage.
          I checked my cctv camera which is tucked in the eaves of my house and found the toughened glass had shattered all on its own in the early hours as the temperature plummeted.

Comment

Thanks for replies.

If you look on second pic you can see a few points on the glass where they've tried with crowbar, absolutely no damage to the paintwork. Although national windscreen company have left some fine scratches when replacing it!!

Nothing has been done or attempted since but we always make sure it is completely blocked in by our other car which is vw caddy mpv lol so good luck to them if they wanna try moving that out the way

Comment

Don't know if I've already said it but the glass had come outwards not inwards, if it was sheer mindless vandalism they went to a lot of work to do it wen they could've just thrown a rock and pegged it down the alley.

Comment

Working...
              X