Persuade me to keep my DS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persuade me to keep my DS3

I've had my Dsport 150 for about six months now. I've never had a car before that's just for fun. They have always been practical rather than just for fun.

But I'm missing the practicality of my old Focus Estate. It was great for just shoving my mountain bike in the back or my sea kayak on the roof. I can still do both by using my campervan, but it's a bit of a faff if I'm just going for a day out locally, especially getting the kayak up on the roof of the van. And the van is so painfully sloooowwwwww.

Then there is my paranoia about the THP engine issues thanks to this forum. I didn't know about them before I came here! :rolleyes:

I'm seriously thinking about selling my beloved Red Baby for another Focus. Then I go for a drive in Red Baby and she has her "zippy" head on and I think whoo hoo, what a giggle! What to do? I really can't decide. Help me out please. (OK, I know any views may be ever-so-slightly slightly biased, but feel free to share them anyway).

Ta!

You only live once Girl :-)
    You really want that spongy feeling back when you press the accelerator of a Focus....... and hardly anything happens.... .. and talk about street cred........... and looks............. and the absolutely overwhelming number of THPS that havent been modded, have the same amount of issues as any other motor.

Keep your DS3... Live a little

Otherwise... back to mediocrity you go
    And that comes from an ex-owner of a Focus of 9 years. (me)
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

"Then I go for a drive in Red Baby and she has her "zippy" head on and I think whoo hoo, what a giggle!"

Think you answered your own question
      DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
      Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Let's face it, a DS3 is gorgeous and more fun than a tragic, boring focus
        DS3 Evo Edition
        Sport Red
        E8 DRY

Checkout my Build Thread: http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....s-Build-Thread
        Scottish Meet Part 2: http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....sh-Meet-Part-2

Comment

Focus' are probably one of the most boring cars on the road! All cars have issues, whats to say your car will have all the problems you've seen on here? Keep it and enjoy the 'zippy' head it has
          Last edited by Shauna_H; 06-01-2015, 14:32.

Comment

There are ways around having to transport your Kayak by getting some roof bars for DS and bike carrier on the back. As for not having the DS3 think of the fun you will miss by having to drive a boring Focus not to mention not being able to attend DS3 Club meets in a DS3 anymore

Comment

Get one of these for the camper van to transport the bikes or kayak, my mate has one and it's awesome and so easy!

http://www.karitek.co.uk/index.php?p...emart&Itemid=5
              ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
              Bigfeet's File Repository
              The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I had my first DS3 for about a year, then i sold it and bought a five door car just for the practicality.
                After two months i missed my DS3 so much i had to buy a new one, same MY, same color, same engine, love it.
                If i ever choose to buy a new car again, it will be a DS3!

Comment

Thanks. Some good attempts at persuasion there!

I'm still trending towards the idea of a small estate though. I can get my bike in the back of my DS3 if I take both wheels off, but the kayak's a bit more problematical. The DS3 roof bars are a bit too close together for a 16'6" long sea kayak and the karitek easy load system won't fit my van's roof bars.

I'm not fully decided yet but it looks like Red baby may be going soon. Sorry for probably making the 'wrong' decision as far as everyone here is concerned!

Comment

I only paddle slalom and freestyle boats, so not as long as your sea kayak, but I would think that you could get a carrier to fit ds3 roof racks if you are worried about the size of the boat on the ds3. But I agree it is a little annoying that you have to take both wheels off the bikes to get it in the ds3, although you can (just) fit a bike in with only the front wheel off if you put the passenger seat all the way forward.

Oh, and you can always put the front towhook in and run a strap from the front of the kayak to the hook, helps heaps with boat stability when driving, especially at high speeds, although I rarely bother.

So if you like the ds3 you can make it work!
                    Last edited by tch; 07-01-2015, 18:29.

Comment

OK, having thought about it some more, Red Baby still has a home. I've decided I can live with having to use the van for kayaking. That was my original plan after all. Red Baby was purely for fun and the van for sensible and practical, rather than having two merely practical vehicles.

Just one thing though. If her engine blows up, I'll expect everyone who persuaded me to keep her to chip in & pay the repair bill!!!

Comment

Originally posted by duddon girl View Post
                        OK, having thought about it some more, Red Baby still has a home. I've decided I can live with having to use the van for kayaking. That was my original plan after all. Red Baby was purely for fun and the van for sensible and practical, rather than having two merely practical vehicles.

Just one thing though. If her engine blows up, I'll expect everyone who persuaded me to keep her to chip in & pay the repair bill!!!
                        Good decision, your engine will be just fine, and if it would blow up, u can always pm me and i will comfort you for free

Comment

The only thing I will be leaving the DS3 family for is one of these.........

http://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/spo...psmoRFXHfJu_dc
                          Callum Green
                          Current: BMW 120i
                          Previous: DS3 1.6 HDI / Mini Cooper JCW / BMW 118d

Comment

Working...
                          X