Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning Corners

Hi all again,

Does anyone else's HDI feel quite hesitant when turning corners at low speed? also sounds like its struggling a little :S

Cheers,
    Grant

Do you mean the engine? Can you replicate the feeling when going straight when driving the same "low speed", same RPMs, and same Gear and trying to accelerate at the same rate. Or do you mean the handling?
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

I mean the engine cyclone, the only time I feel it in a straight line is when I'm pulling away from a junction sometimes... my original thoughts were the turbo starting to give up, but there's no strange noises and it pulls like a train when it spools...... I putting it down to me not being used to diesel cars (its my first), but just wanted to double check with you guys on here.

Comment

Keep the revs up! Lower gear if necessary

My diesel hits turbo about 1500rpm and is a bit useless below that if I change up too soon.

JB
        Last edited by Jimbob; 23-01-2015, 08:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
          Keep the revs up! Lower gear if necessary

My diesel hits turbo about 1500rpm and is a bit useless below that if I change up too soon.

JB
          This is in second jimbob :/ seriously still getting used to derv power though, I've had four petrol cars, this is my first diesel

Comment

certainly do notice a difference when going slow in 2nd gear - however as said by Jimbob, until the turbo kicks in it is essentially a leashed puppy.

feels fine going around a supermarket carpark in 2nd tho.

My turbo kicks in somewhere between 1750-2000.

Only time I feel it pulling off from a junction is if I change too early or not give it enough boot.
            DS 3 1.6 THP 165 DSport - Ink Blue body / Black roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Grantandrew2014 View Post
              This is in second jimbob :/ seriously still getting used to derv power though, I've had four petrol cars, this is my first diesel
              Exactly same as me pal. First diesel engine after owning 3 little Seat Arosas haha. It certainly takes some getting used. My turbo spools at around 1600-1800rpm and it's feckless underneath that. As soon as it kicks in though it kicks in haha. You'll soon find all of its sweet spots going through the gears. When's best to change. When does the power come in most economical. Stuff like that just takes time bud.

I've only just found that when it's warm, 3rd gear at 40mph gives better fuel economy than 4th at 40mph (According to the screen) putting this down to that it's in the power band and it doesn't have to struggle to keep the speed up. It sits at just over 2000rpm and you're only just feathering the throttle?? Who knows. Might be a load of rubbish but that's what the dash is telling me haha :P

All fun and games having a new car

Comment

Mine used to kick in later until the remap
                I think you are right about 3rd being more economical at certain speeds.

JB

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
                  Mine used to kick in later until the remap
                  I think you are right about 3rd being more economical at certain speeds.

JB
                  In my THP (according to the computer) mine is most economical in 4th at 30mph, 5th at 40mph and 6th at 50mph. Depending on the road obviously.
                  - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                  - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

cheers lads,
                    I have started to give it more stick when its warm now, diesels don't half take some getting used to!

Comment

Originally posted by Grantandrew2014 View Post
                      cheers lads,
                      I have started to give it more stick when its warm now, diesels don't half take some getting used to!
                      They certainly do that- had one for a couple days and still didnt get used to the sluggish take off
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

I'm constantly changing between an e-hdi and a petrol mazda. Despite the fact it's less powerful and slower the DS3 certainly has a nice if short lived whoosh of torque/power that the petrol can not produce. However the long gear ratios required to get it below 99g/km and the turbo lag and wooly throttle response while you're waiting for the turbo mean gear selection is critical to get it pull cleanly. If you used to a petrol it's certainly a culture shock, especially when it drops off boost at a rounderbout and leaves you marooned at walking pace until the turbo decides to get on with it.
                        Crystal White pearl Mazda 3 Takuya 1.6
                        Whisper Purple/White DS3 Dstyle plus 1.6 e-Hdi

Comment

Working...
                        X