No announcement yet.

Super unleaded or normal unleaded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I hadn't given any thought to fuel - I just stick the cheapest, local unleaded in. However, prior to its service a couple of weeks ago, my THP had been spluttering a bit intermittently on acceleration. The mechanic said the diagnostic codes showed that it had been spluttering but didn't suggest anything conclusive, so I opted to just carry on driving it until it got worse since it wasn't really bothering me (hubby calls me 'Driving Miss Daisy'). However, for the past couple of tanks, I've been using Shell fuel and voila! - no spluttering and it's pulling really nice. Now it might be coincidence that the car's had a service but having read through this thread, I'm wondering if it might be the fuel. Furthermore, I'm going to try some V-Power in it next time I tank up. With any luck, I'll be holding onto my hair when I hit the accelerator pedal. :cool:
    "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

Comment

98RON (called Super+ in Germany) since I bought the car
      Aral (aka BP) Ultimate have 102RON in Germany, Shell V-Power 100RON
      Citroën DS³ // THP 155 // Body Ruby Red // Roof Moondust
      DS³R Speedometer // 19" OEM Cairns // KW V3 Coilovers

Comment

Originally posted by Broda View Post
        Shell - 98RON
        BP - 97RON
        If SHELL V-Power is 98 RON, and Tesco Momentum is 99 RON, even though the power output with V-Power may have been measured better, surely the higher RON of Momentum is better for the engine. Not just about power?
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

You also have to consider what goes into making the fuel, ie additives, chemicals etc
          - Challenge Accepted -

Comment

I've never used super unleaded in my cars before but after reading this forum, I decided to try Shell V-Power and see if it made a difference. Before my last service (about 1500 miles ago), I'd been having a few misfires when I booted it. The mechanic said they were showing in the diagnostics but there was nothing conclusive to say what was causing them. So, I decided to try V-Power. I've gone through 2+ tanks worth so far and am happy to report that the car has been purring. Not only that, but my average mpg has gone up from 42.7 to 47.2, which I think is quite amazing. I'm sure a bit of that is due to the warmer weather and a couple of longer runs than usual, but even so, I think +4.5mpg is impressive. I certainly don't see any reason to go back to cheaper fuel when I don't need to.
            "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
            https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

Comment

Originally posted by Jo67 View Post
              I've never used super unleaded in my cars before but after reading this forum, I decided to try Shell V-Power and see if it made a difference. Before my last service (about 1500 miles ago), I'd been having a few misfires when I booted it. The mechanic said they were showing in the diagnostics but there was nothing conclusive to say what was causing them. So, I decided to try V-Power. I've gone through 2+ tanks worth so far and am happy to report that the car has been purring. Not only that, but my average mpg has gone up from 42.7 to 47.2, which I think is quite amazing. I'm sure a bit of that is due to the warmer weather and a couple of longer runs than usual, but even so, I think +4.5mpg is impressive. I certainly don't see any reason to go back to cheaper fuel when I don't need to.
              Good to hear. I've used V-Power in both of my THPs and not had any misfiring issues with either.
              - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
              - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Working...
              X