Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake discs scored & corroded... At 16k miles?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake discs scored & corroded... At 16k miles?!

Hey all! So as the title says, my DS3 was in for its 2 year service on Saturday. They've claimed my brake discs at the rear are corroded and scored and will need replaced. Is it just me or is this ridiculous that they need replaced at such a low mileage?

I have to add I'm a bit sceptical as my brakes feel fine and it was Arnold Clark...

Any advice appreciated!

My DS3 rear brakes were a bit rusty, garage said to drive 1-2km with a tightened hand brake and it's gone
    Citroën DS³ // THP 155 // Body Ruby Red // Roof Moondust
    DS³R Speedometer // 19" OEM Cairns // KW V3 Coilovers

Comment

I think time has a lot to do with it, not just mileage. If they've been sitting a lot then a thin layer of rust will form on the disks.

It's possible they're trying to rip you off but as brakes will save your life one day, please get them checked by someone you trust, just in case.
      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

My dealer told me that mine needed doing at 17k ish as well, I'm on 34k currently and they are only now getting to the point that they need replacing

As Beefy said though get yours independently checked (I did) as we all drive differently and I was doing a lot of long distance mileage that didn't require a lot of braking compared to those doing short drives around town etc.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm on 28k and I had an advisory for my disks and pads on my MOT yesterday. I'm going to get them checked somewhere other than Citroen, but like Patrick said, brakes could save your life one day, so do please get them checked
          Current: DS 3 Performance, Perla Nera Black with Sparkly Purple roof
          Previous: DS3 DStyle 120 VTi, Perla Nera Black with Fuchsia roof

Comment

When it comes to brakes the old argument of how long a piece of string applies, there are so many different variables that effect your braking system which does mean that all of us will wear brake disc and pads at different rates.

Point of note is that most dealerships will have a a higher tolerance for brakes compared to other agents such as Kwikfit, these have been put in place by the manufacturer As Kat pointed out brakes are a vital part of your safety system which is why dealerships will recommend changes sooner very much like with tyres.
            Last edited by Bigfeet; 09-09-2015, 11:27.
            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
            Bigfeet's File Repository
            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks! I've got it booked it into the garage my family have been going to for years to get it checked out

Comment

They not been used enough
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                X