Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decisions decisions - a little advice please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisions decisions - a little advice please...

New here - just posted in the newbie section - hello again

Looking at a used (3-4 year old) DS3 to replice my golf TDI and have decided to go petrol this time as I only do around 10k per year. I have to use my car for work and most of the journeys are short hilly town trips. I understand the THP engine can be quite efficient but what would it be like on fuel on multiple short trips? My commute to work is about 8 miles each way of normally free flowing traffic.

I would like a DSport THP but if it's going to guzzle fuel in those circumstances then I will have to go for a vti.

Does anyone have experience doing a similar type of mileage and journeys in a 1.6 THP DS3?

I'm aware through reading here and other places of the general THP issues, am I right in saying the 155hp version is the one to go for?

I have test driven a 1.6 VTI but not a THP yet.

Any advice appreciated - thanks

I am getting around 38 right now with a 2011 THP 150 doing all short trip city driving. The newer THP's seem to be doing better problem wise than older ones. That being said, I have had no issues mine.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

I've only ever done town driving since i reset my trip computer a few weeks ago. Getting about 26mpg atm...

I know it can do better, I'm just throttle happy and the fact im always in start stop traffic.

Comment

THPs aren't really guzzlers unless you hammer everywhere

Was quite impressed with around town, bout 35mpg, as it even beat my Mrs 1.0 Fiesta (32 MPG)
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

My 2013 155 has been much better than I thought on fuel. When I first got it I was worrying as my work journey is only 4/5 miles but I get high 30s.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
            THPs aren't really guzzlers unless you hammer everywhere

Was quite impressed with around town, bout 35mpg, as it even beat my Mrs 1.0 Fiesta (32 MPG)
            Agreed, I have a 6 mile commute and a few regular cross-country journeys. Mine has settled down to about 44mpg average (40 litres for about 400 miles).

A long, steady 70 mph (ahem) motorway journey (300+ miles) gave me about 48mpg.

They really are extremely good on fuel and the 4500rpm power band is marvellous. If you constantly stand on the accelerator I'm sure they'll burn lots of fuel but you really don't need to drive them like that to make good progress.
            Techno THP155 Ruby Red White Roof

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, very helpful. So the consensus is pretty good on fuel even round town.... Just struggling to find anything local to me in budget to take for a spin....

Comment

I'm happy with the fuel consumption on my THP. I usually get about 47mpg running round all over the place. Over the last few weeks I haven't been doing much driving just short shunty shopping journeys (say that without your teeth in :eek. Add to that the sad truth that I've been driving like a 'toon (racing C class Mercs at traffic lights) and I've managed to get it down to 39.1. Mine's definitely fuel efficient. Just today, over a 9 mile trip I brought it back up to about 42.
                "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
                https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

Comment

Working...
                X