DS3 suspension/automatic questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS3 suspension/automatic questions

Hi everyone, I have been thinking of getting a DS3 after I spotted one on the road recently and it caught my eye! I currently own a 2004 Mini Cooper but due to a shoulder problem the steering and gear changes are becoming uncomfortable, so I have looked at getting an automatic. I have looked at Fiestas but the powershift problems have put me off, I wanted to ask if anyone has an automatic DS3 and wondered what you thought of them?
    Another question I wanted to ask was regarding the suspension on the DStyle model, is it quite firm? Does anyone have any experience of driving a Mini Cooper and how does it compare?

Thanks in advance.
    I have only just come across this forum and it looks to be full of useful information, so I'll look forward to finding out more about the DS3.

Cheers
    Karen

I have a DStyle and the ride is pretty firm though not uncomfortably so

Comment

I'd recommend getting a test drive if possible everyone has their own idea of acceptable. We have a dstyle + and I the echo the comments of the ride being firm. It's not bad in general, tends to get caught out by sudden ruts and also rippled surfaces are transmitted faithfully to your bottom but not bad for a small car with a sporting bent. While you're test drive check you can live with the lack of in cabin storage, it's got a tiny glove box, shallow door pockets and a small awkward centre cubby.
      Crystal White pearl Mazda 3 Takuya 1.6
      Whisper Purple/White DS3 Dstyle plus 1.6 e-Hdi

Comment

I've not driven a Mini myself, but from what I read in test reports the Mini always seems to be the firmest ride compared to other cars in it's class.

Comment

My mate had one of the early Cooper S Mini's and we both enjoyed the v firm ride 10 years ago, after a year or two it did start to grate though The DS3 suspension on my DSport+ is not as firm as the Cooper S and I've not had any problems with the comfort levels

As above, have a test drive first to see if the ride is better for you
          sigpic

Comment

Yes you need to just drive one yourself, others opinions are absolutely useless for saying how firm a suspension is. As an example I find that the stock suspension is on the soft side with just a minimal pretence of being sporty while others feel that it quite firm.
            Originally posted by cyclone
            It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
            Originally posted by Broda
            I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Weirdo !! ha ha
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                we both enjoyed the v firm ride 10 years ago
                ...Waheey!
                - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

:bow: Beefy :bow:

sigpic

Comment

Wow thanks for the response. Yes I guess a test drive is the only way but you can never fully test drive cars, especially when the sales person is sat next to you. There also seems to be a lack of automatics in my area, I can't understand why automatics are not more popular nowadays. I guess I could also try a manual to see how easy the gear changes are.
                    Thanks guys

Comment

I must add that my last car was a Kia Ceed with terrible corner roll. So the sporty suspension is a breath of fresh air.

What you really need to be asking yourself is can you live without a cup holder? [emoji38]

Comment

Originally posted by footix2 View Post
                        I must add that my last car was a Kia Ceed with terrible corner roll. So the sporty suspension is a breath of fresh air.

What you really need to be asking yourself is can you live without a cup holder? [emoji38]

Ha ha, yes I watched a review on YouTube and they mentioned the lack of cup holders, is this the case in newer models also?

Comment

You can wedge a Costa cup or bottle or can in the wider end of the door pocket so all is not lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Minikar View Post
                            Wow thanks for the response. Yes I guess a test drive is the only way but you can never fully test drive cars, especially when the sales person is sat next to you. There also seems to be a lack of automatics in my area, I can't understand why automatics are not more popular nowadays. I guess I could also try a manual to see how easy the gear changes are.
                            Thanks guys
                            If you can find an automatic then try it out. The DS3 autos, the older 4 gear and the new EAT6 gear, are both brilliant to drive. I'd never go back to a manual gearbox now.
                            2015 DStyle NAV PureTech 110 S&S EAT6 in Red/Black. Enlisted into the Imperial Guard.

Comment

Working...
                            X