Burning smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning smell

I've had my DS3 DStyle Nav for a couple of weeks now and I've just done 1,000 miles. I do 65 miles per day for work, and this weekend we went to the mother-in-laws which was a 2 hour drive. All totally fine. While we were up there we drove into town for lunch, but driving back from town (around 2 miles) the car absolutely stank of burning. You couldn't notice it inside the car, as soon as you got out you could smell it. I lifted the bonnet and it was definitely coming from under there somewhere, don't know what though, so I left it to cool down (it did feel really hot for a 2-mile journey) and went back out to run it for a little bit later on, but it seemed fine. Then we had our 2 hour journey home, again fine.

Hopefully a one-off but has anyone got any ideas what it could have been?

Hmmm. Wasn't the clutch by any chance was it? Poor clutch control can create a nasty smell that lingers for ages.
    @mike_lowsocial

Comment

You do not say what type of engine you have but if it was a diesel it may have been trying to do a DPF regeneration after your long drive.
      Originally posted by cyclone
      It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
      Originally posted by Broda
      I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Yes its a diesel

Comment

Could be DPF regeneration, to be honest I'd never heard of it before

Just looked it up and I'm 100% sure it was this. Thanks
          Last edited by grant_w; 16-11-2015, 09:23.

Comment

If the car is a diesel then yes most likely it's the DPF system regenerating. The smell will be something similar to a burnt charcoal.
            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
            Bigfeet's File Repository
            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

... or a plastic bag blown under the car and stuck to the exhaust. Not uncommon.

Comment

Burnt charcoal ?? Nah that's way too posh, the burnt plastic bag is closer to the smell in my experience
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X