Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad smell, maybe from exhaust

Hey all

Just picked up my DS3 Ultra Prestige 165 THP.

Everyone who has looked at it, me including, have noticed a bad smell coming from the car. I thought it was clutch at first because I had just reversed up onto my drive but I noticed it later too after not reversing.

Seems to be coming from the exhaust too, with a considerable amount of condensation/steam coming out.

I presume its probably just the new engine/turbo but worried its something else? Engine bay seems fine, no leaking oil or anything.

Any ideas?
    @mike_lowsocial

Mine has a sweet smell to the exhaust & all thp's seem to produce lots of water vapour

Comment

No this smells like burning. I can only presume its because its a new engine but still its worrying
      @mike_lowsocial

Comment

How many miles has the car done?will naturally smell as exhaust gets hot with it being coated to prevent corrosion before fitting & this coating burns off to some extent

Comment

As of this morning, 24.8 miles. First time it did it was about 10 miles.
          @mike_lowsocial

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried just keep checking the coolant & oil levels to reassure yourself

Comment

Thanks very much. Never had anything similar from a new car before
              @mike_lowsocial

Comment

The steam from the exhaust is nothing to worry about either, that's just the cold weather / cold exhaust and is normal.
                - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Does it smell like eggs?

If so then don't panic as it's just the exhaust settling in.
                  ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                  Bigfeet's File Repository
                  The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Happy with the steam from exhaust, just with it being more than normal and with the smell.

Yeah it does smell like eggs actually. Kinda like that horrible clutch smell.

Awesome that is reassuring. Thanks all.
                    @mike_lowsocial

Comment

My new eHDI 90 had a burning smell for a couple of hundred miles so I wouldn't worry too much

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                        The steam from the exhaust is nothing to worry about either, that's just the cold weather / cold exhaust and is normal.
                        My Dark Light has been doing this and I was considering calling the dealer. I was stuck in the M6 the other day and was getting paranoid about it - Only about 1 in 20 other cars were producing white smoke. Then sometimes it doesn't do it. I was wondering does it have anything to do with using Air Con/Auto? Not had a massive amount of time to test but the last few times I have driven I had the Air Con off and I wasn't seeing any white smoke.

I am just concerned that I don't see many other cars on the road producing smoke despite the weather. Are you saying this is just a trait with the DS3? I have a Dark Light so not sure what engine that is. Is it just susceptible to damp weather and like you say lots of condensation builds up in the big exhaust this car has?

P.S Done about 900 miles so far.

Comment

It's definetly a trait with the thp engined models

Comment

Originally posted by cherbert1701 View Post
                            My Dark Light has been doing this and I was considering calling the dealer. I was stuck in the M6 the other day and was getting paranoid about it - Only about 1 in 20 other cars were producing white smoke. Then sometimes it doesn't do it. I was wondering does it have anything to do with using Air Con/Auto? Not had a massive amount of time to test but the last few times I have driven I had the Air Con off and I wasn't seeing any white smoke.

I am just concerned that I don't see many other cars on the road producing smoke despite the weather. Are you saying this is just a trait with the DS3? I have a Dark Light so not sure what engine that is. Is it just susceptible to damp weather and like you say lots of condensation builds up in the big exhaust this car has?

P.S Done about 900 miles so far.
                            It is just condensation / steam. All cars do it, don't worry about it.

I have noticed mine does it a lot more than my previous cars but still, it is perfectly normal
                            @mike_lowsocial

Comment

Yes, THP's seem to be powered by steam on colder days. Mine does it too. Not many other cars can compete in the steam contest. The only competition I've noticed are some petrol BWM's

Comment

Working...
                              X