"miles to go" indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jo67 View Post
    I use a very technical method for calculating fuel and mileage. I fill up. I drive. The fuel light comes on. I fill up. I drive. The fuel light...and so on and so forth. It doesn't matter how many miles it says. It needs fuel when it needs fuel. ;-)
    It`s called The Just In Time Method!
    LA PETITE FUSEE / THE LITTLE ROCKET

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
      It is not that simple even if it sounds like it should be. Just using current mpg the range would be changing every few seconds or minutes. Then how long of a time frame do you use for the calculation? or do you use a combination long and short term for the mpg? I don't know. Then there is the point that 1/2 tank on the fuel gauge isn't really 1/2 of the fuel in the tank so how does that figure in? How much is it going to cost figure out the optimum figures to use? Would it even be worthwhile to do so on a to be realistic, near or now at the bottom to the range car? What I am sure of is that someone in Paris probably sitting in a cube decided it was good enough to just use the software from the C3 that got it from the 207 that got it from who knows where because it was the cheapest way to get the job done good enough so he could go have a coffee and a croissant.
      The trip computer in the ds3 is the exact same one as was fitted to the Peugeot 307 in 2001, as are the column stalks. You have valid points, the ecu should know how much fuel it is pumping and could maybe use an hourly average ,the fuel gauge should give a rough estimate of the amount of fuel the car has. Not saying its an easy thing to get bang on but it couldn't be too hard to program it not to display a totally insane estimate based on recent figures. The Mazda ones just as bad it shows 530 on a full tank it's 12 gallon tank if you could use every drop and it does 40 to the gallon on average leaving 70 mysterious miles..although experience says every fuel read out will be telling you time to fill up at about 380-420 miles.

It wouldn't be hugely hard to work out a position on fuel gauge is equal to roughly so much fuel left then multiply that by your average economy 50 miles. It wouldn't be perfect but it couldn't be much less accurate.

Not that I ever use the thing, it's so far off as to be meaningless.
      Last edited by StevenRB45; 09-12-2015, 18:34.
      Crystal White pearl Mazda 3 Takuya 1.6
      Whisper Purple/White DS3 Dstyle plus 1.6 e-Hdi

Comment

There is JO67's method that has worked reliably for the last 120 years or so
        Originally posted by cyclone
        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
        Originally posted by Broda
        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by JEZDS3 View Post
          It`s called The Just In Time Method!
          Tee hee hee.
          "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
          https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
            There is JO67's method that has worked reliably for the last 120 years or so
            Charming. I'm not that old! LOLOLOL
            "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
            https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

Comment

I was slightly obsessed with my mpg when I first got the car. Until I released it was plucking numbers out of thin air.

The trip computer seems a bit better than the tank range indicator though

Comment

Originally posted by Jo67 View Post
                Charming. I'm not that old! LOLOLOL
                Upps sorry was not insinuating that you are that old just the automobile is around that old
                Originally posted by cyclone
                It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                Originally posted by Broda
                I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'm not stressing about my MPG nor the miles to go indicator, the latter are v definitely pie in the sky figures
                  sigpic

Comment

I've very late on this post. But I was just thinking this about my ds3. The "miles to go" is absolutely shit it just makes up numbers! How can you fill up and get to 200 odd miles, drive for an hour and be in 300 ... makes no sense. Wish it wasn't there tbh, I trust it too much when I know I shouldn't lol

Comment

Working...
                    X