Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump Pulley and belt Nightmare

Hey Guys,

I'm a Citroen lover from South Africa and I hope this forum can assist me.

I have a DS3 THP 155 2012 Model and had recently replaced the timing chain and guides with a new set with success but after assembling everything back together again the Water pump Pulley and belt and after driving it for about 20kms the belt slipped off and made a incredible noise. Upon further investigation we discovered that the belt and the pulley where both damaged so badly that I had to replace both belt and pulley. Once the parts arrived we installed accordingly but after about 60km the belt slipped off again.

I am completely desperate for advice and assistance and I hope you guys can help me or guide me towards a lasting solution.

Thank you in advance.

Adrian.

For those that do not know. The water pump "pulley" is driven from a friction wheel that contacts both the back of the accessory belt as it travels over the crankshaft pulley and the wheel on the water pump. So the belt does not actually go over ether of these two water pump wheels. Google a picture of "prince engine" if you need a visual. The water pump is upper left when looking at the belt and pulleys.

I would be checking that the crankshaft Pulley was correctly reinstalled.
    Last edited by cyclone; 15-12-2015, 15:20.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

I think it might be the friction wheel not providing the correct tension (As mentioned by Cyclone) to the water-pump pulley not sure if you know of any other issues that could cause the loud rattling noise (I know you'll probably think its the chain but that was already replaced) thats eating up my water pump pulley (I've replaced it twice already).

Like I said before, the car runs fine then suddenly the noise returns and eats up my pulley.... I am now hopeless in resolving this and dont know what to check or do to fix it.

Any advice would hugely appreciated
      Last edited by Hesoyam; 15-12-2015, 14:01.

Comment

My reasoning for saying check the crankshaft pulley is that a belt coming off is normally an alignment issue or loose belt and the crank pulley comes off to do the timing chain. If that was somehow not on correctly it would cause the belt to come off which would cause the friction wheel to eat itself on the crank pulley that would then damage the water pump pulley. Or perhaps the tension pulley has lost it's mojo causing the accessory belt to be slack enough that the belt can slip off when the engine is at speed.
        Originally posted by cyclone
        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
        Originally posted by Broda
        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Hi There,

We are setting her up on the jacks tomorrow and I'll make sure that all pulleys are correctly installed and well torqued down. We suspect that the friction wheel might also be going.

Thank you Cyclone for all your help, it goes a long way.

Cheers Mate.

Comment

Good luck, don't forget to let us know what you discover

Is that your DS3 in your avatar picture ? If it is do you have any other pics we could see ?
            sigpic

Comment

Hey Guys,

OK, so I got a new friction wheel and pulley and was wondering if anyone here has some documentation on how to (according to best practice) install the Fiction unit?

Oh and Ill post some picies soon.

Comment

Biggie (Bigfeet) might be able to help with that, I'm not sure if he's around this week as I think I saw he was in London earlier this week on Facebook...
                sigpic

Comment

Jeez took me a while to reply guys, It turned out to be faulty temp sensors that caused the computer to send the incorrect commands to the friction wheel, once the temp sensors where replaced everything was working well.

Thanks again for the input fella's

Comment

Originally posted by Hesoyam
                    Jeez took me a while to reply guys, It turned out to be faulty temp sensors that caused the computer to send the incorrect commands to the friction wheel, once the temp sensors where replaced everything was working well.

Thanks again for the input fella's
                    A subtle understatement... lol

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

It's only 21 months Although the wait for the pictures is getting v long now
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                        It's only 21 months Although the wait for the pictures is getting v long now
                        Ah mate, she's almost back from the shop after Turbo upgrade to K04. I promise i'll post pics tonight lol (I know its ridiculous to wait so long)

Comment

Working...
                        X