First service - a tale of modern Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First service - a tale of modern Britain

The Techno had its first service today, only 7000 miles and only 11 months old but the 'spanner' was flashing insistently. I was prepared for the relentless 'upselling' and scaremongering (tyres, disks, cambelt check - hardly worn, hardly worn, it's a chain...) but what really threw me was the fact that the service receptionist needed a calculator to add 16,000 to the current mileage to get the mileage the next service is due.
    Techno THP155 Ruby Red White Roof

Ha ha, mine it had its 37500 service last week, nothing additional needed although I did have the AC service done whilst it was in

Next up our new discs/pads from EBC
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RedTechno View Post
      The Techno had its first service today, only 7000 miles and only 11 months old but the 'spanner' was flashing insistently. I was prepared for the relentless 'upselling' and scaremongering (tyres, disks, cambelt check - hardly worn, hardly worn, it's a chain...) but what really threw me was the fact that the service receptionist needed a calculator to add 16,000 to the current mileage to get the mileage the next service is due.
      I remember being in school and the maths teachers saying it's important to learn how to work things out mentally because you won't always have a calculator on you.

2015 I'm sitting here looking around me as I type this, phone, laptop, smartwatch, I could go on...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardL View Post
        I remember being in school and the maths teachers saying it's important to learn how to work things out mentally because you won't always have a calculator on you.

2015 I'm sitting here looking around me as I type this, phone, laptop, smartwatch, I could go on...
        Thankfully I have a strong affinity with arithmetic and numbers. If you have no feel for what the answer ought to be then how would you know you'd keyed the right numbers into your calculator? And 6950 + 16000 has to depend a calculator? Bet when he gets lost he blames the sat nav....

I use spredsheets and calculators for complex stuff but that affinity with numbers is my built-in sanity check of the results. I'd be ashamed if I couldn't do simple arithmetic in my head.

Comment

Thankfully I have a strong affinity with arithmetic and numbers. If you have no feel for what the answer ought to be then how would you know you'd keyed the right numbers into your calculator? And 6950 + 16000 has to depend a calculator? Bet when he gets lost he blames the sat nav....

I use spredsheets and calculators for complex stuff but that affinity with numbers is my built-in sanity check of the results. I'd be ashamed if I couldn't do simple arithmetic in my head.
          Haha I know exactly what you mean, I'm the same.

Imagine watching countdown and not being able to complete the numbers round? It would make me want to find a bridge and jump.

(Okay maybe a slight exaggeration there).

Comment

^ Me too
            sigpic

Comment

Jump Jump Jump......
              Originally posted by cyclone
              It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
              Originally posted by Broda
              I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Tbf if you aren't doing mental maths everyday and it never came naturally then it's easy to lose the speed. I was always a paper and pen guy..

Having said that if one more "manager" at work asks me how to work out 4% of a given amount of time I may go postal.
                Crystal White pearl Mazda 3 Takuya 1.6
                Whisper Purple/White DS3 Dstyle plus 1.6 e-Hdi

Comment

but what really threw me was the fact that the service receptionist needed a calculator to add 16,000 to the current mileage to get the mileage the next service is due.
                  She may have had a learning disability.

Comment

Doesn't say anything about modern Britain. I'm in my fifties and would have had no problem with that. My best friend who is also in her fifties and is one of the most intelligent people I have ever met would have had considerable difficulty with it even with a calculator. Some people are good with numbers, some aren't. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Comment

People have different strengths and weaknesses but I do think that technology and low expectations are dumbing us down. It's a shame. Those of us that want to, should cling to the old ways for as long as possible.
                      "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
                      https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

Comment

Calculators are everywhere now; you might as well use them.
                        May 2011 - October 2015: White body/black roof/white Bellone THP150
                        October 2015 - Present: Black body/emerald green roof/black Aphrodite THP165
                        Instagram @adamds3

Comment

Originally posted by THP View Post
                          Calculators are everywhere now; you might as well use them.
                          Where do you draw the line? Stop writing because keyboards are everywhere, stop talking because you can text? Stop thinking... Come to think of it we are almost there aren't we?

Utter dependence on machines?

Technology used well is a great thing, technology used for technology's sake has to be a bad thing.

Comment

This all sounds familiar....

Click image for larger version

Name:	army-officer-invokes-terminator-3-rise-of-the-machines-in-official-drones-paper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	360060
                            sigpic

Comment

Where do you draw the line? Stop writing because keyboards are everywhere, stop talking because you can text? Stop thinking... Come to think of it we are almost there aren't we?

Utter dependence on machines?

Technology used well is a great thing, technology used for technology's sake has to be a bad thing.
                              When is the last time anyone wrote, other than your signature, in cursive. I can not remember it has been so long. Can't hold back the clock!
                              Originally posted by cyclone
                              It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                              Originally posted by Broda
                              I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Working...
                              X