Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of buying a Jan13 DS3 THP155, but some questions remain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a Jan13 DS3 THP155, but some questions remain.

Red roof. Red wheel centre caps. Red dashboard. Red wing mirror caps. Pretty sure it had a red key.
    It has lots of red on it. I assume this must be a 'red' special edition being a Jan 2013 car?

The car is at a Citroen dealer with a 12 month warranty from Citroen. But apparently it has a brand new engine just fitted as it had a list of faults at trade in, so had a full new one fitted. The engine looked super clean (under oil filler cap it looked dry inside around the value springs etc, but actually was super clean and super fresh oil making it look that way)
    Everything worked as expected on a decent test drive, just a bit of a smell of warm oil but I put this down to spilt oil on the engine just burning off, I'd fully check this before comitting to buying it. No smoke or anything, just that hot oil spilt on engine when refilling it kinda thing.

The only things putting me off were the fact early cars very clearly had engine issues, and this one has had a new engine at 24k miles and almost 3 years old. Assuming that design fixes were made to improve the engine for the later cars, are any issues that may remain then rectifiable? I'm happy to maintain cars and do preventative maintenance (well, my wife is, it's gonna be her car), but there are no show stoppers that come out of the blue? Ie, snapped rods, failing cam chains etc? As long as it's things you can see coming or check for, and then remedy for a reasonable price, I'm ok.

My main things to check are that the engine was completely new (block and ancillaries).

But otherwise what a cool funky little hatch.

With a remap and a slightly more notable intake/exhaust noise, and some more feelsome tyres it'd be a hoot on some back roads

Cheers for any advice or thoughts. I'm still reading lots about these cars so sorry if there are some noob questions in there

Dave

Assuming the engine has been replaced and it's a good price, you should have a good DS3 there (I love my THP).

If you're looking at getting a remap, speak to Jamie at SP Tuning. He'll also be able to advise you on any preventative upgrades you can make to extend the longevity of the engine.
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Cheers for your thoughts BeefMasta!

The price is £9200 iirc, with a fresh MOT, a fresh service consumerate with requirements, and new disks/pads. We'd try haggle in the end to get it under £9000 if possible, but we'd happily pay the asking price for it if required.

Cheers for the recommendation for the remap. I think I'll probably be doing most of the things DIY to keep costs down and keep the wife happy. If she doesn't get to say exactly how the throttle is mapped for her tastes, or the torque shape etc, then I'd be in big trouble
      Even just on the test drive I found the 1st gear linearity a bit off, half throttle seemed to turn flat by 2500rpm and acceleration dropped off. It made pulling out of a sharp junction quickly, and holding a gear as you straighten out and accelerate a bit difficult.

Dave
      Last edited by Mr Whippy; 30-12-2015, 11:24.

Comment

Working...
      X