Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 plate THP - Am I about to buy a moneypit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 plate THP - Am I about to buy a moneypit?

Evening all,

I'm very close to buying a 2012 THP with 24k on the clock - I'm aware the early model thp engines seemed to be nothing but trouble but the thp 155 models seemed to be better.

I would have thought that model should be fine but it's advertised as "thp dsport" with 155 g/km - i.e. not the 155. Is that likely to be an affected model?

Cheers very much, if it's good news I'll be spending a lot more time here

Originally posted by mongoose View Post
    I'm aware the early model thp engines seemed to be nothing but trouble
    The only thing I felt the need to replace on my early (150) THP was the high pressure fuel pump. Apart from that its been everything but trouble.

Comment

I don't know which model the one you're interested in is.... Does it have a service history or record of what work has been undertaken, stuff like receipts for walnut blasting or head cleans etc ? Is it a Citroen dealer selling it ? If so I believe they can list all the work that was done under warranty etc.

As SfG said there have been plenty of trouble free 150 THPs and a fair amount of ones that have just needed walnut blasting to keep them in A1 condition
      sigpic

Comment

Hadboth 155 and 150. 155 started round Feb 2012.

Timing chain and tensioner was a bigger problem in the 150, than the 155
        155 had some changes to the PCV set up
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by mongoose View Post
          Evening all,

I'm very close to buying a 2012 THP with 24k on the clock - I'm aware the early model thp engines seemed to be nothing but trouble but the thp 155 models seemed to be better.

I would have thought that model should be fine but it's advertised as "thp dsport" with 155 g/km - i.e. not the 155. Is that likely to be an affected model?

Cheers very much, if it's good news I'll be spending a lot more time here
          What's the service history like on it? Has it been in for any major work in the past?
          cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
            What's the service history like on it? Has it been in for any major work in the past?
            As Fish says, there are various parts that may have been prone to failure but as far as I'm aware once they were replaced with an upgraded/uprated/newer variant then the issues stopped. Things like waterpump, temp sensor, timing chain may have previously been replaced therefore shouldn't be an issue. The reason mybe some had these problems and other didn't was (as in my case) my dealer pre-emted those parts failing by replacing them under warranty, as mentioned the only part I changed of my own back was the HPFP as it was an original spec component and I felt (after talking to Jamie at SP Tuning) that is was the cause of my car going into limp mode on one occasion.

Yes these engines should be walnut blasted but that's a by-product of the engine design and not specific to Citroens.

Comment

I agree the only money I've really spent was on things I wanted doing apart from the fuel pump which I had replaced as pressure was low the rest is just normal service for wear & tare items

Comment

Working...
              X