Dash cam installing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash cam installing

Hi, this is my first post on here, hope you can help.

I've just bought a dash cam for my ds3, (I drive like 600 miles a week on the motorway)
    I don't really know the best way to install the cam so that I can hide the wires and not have it block my view and affect all the sensors for the wipers in the black box behind the rear view mirror.
    Is there a way of feeding the wires round the car without tearing half the interior out?

Thanks

Stick it behind the mirror to the left, and tuck cable into roof liner side pillar, under steering wheel , tucks under center console and plugs into socket.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperkev View Post
      Stick it behind the mirror to the left, and tuck cable into roof liner side pillar, under steering wheel , tucks under center console and plugs into socket.
      ^^ what he said!

..works fine for me. The only tricky bit was threading the cable through the space behind the dashboard in front of the centre console after it emerges from the passenger A pillar. I used a long piece of thin plastic, taped the cable to it and them pulled it through (gently, so as not to unduly disturb any other wiring in there that I couldn't see).
      Shark grey / white Vti 120 DStyle ordered 2 March 2013, built 23 March 2013, collected 20 April 2013

Comment

As said above, mine is left of the mirror at the top of the screen. Wire is tucked under passenger visor (not got round to tucking in under the headliner), then down the inside of the A-pillar, into the dash, under the glovebox, tucked into trim around armrest and into the cigarette lighter adaptor. There's a thread on here with pics somewhere.

Will be installing a new one this weekend so will try and remember to take pics of the process.
        - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
        - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a go

Comment

Originally posted by adamburrellzz View Post
            Thanks for the help, I'll give it a go
            The A-pillar just unclips from top to bottom, can be a bit of a faff to get back in though so be warned.
            - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
              The A-pillar just unclips from top to bottom, can be a bit of a faff to get back in though so be warned.
              Ah yes - forgot to mention that bit!
              Shark grey / white Vti 120 DStyle ordered 2 March 2013, built 23 March 2013, collected 20 April 2013

Comment

I've not yet braved taking A-pillar off so I've done

Install to left of mirror, cable tucked into roof lining over to A Pillar and goes across Pillar at the join between plastic a Pillar and roof lining then into door seals down to the glove box, through glove box out near lower centre console, in carpet by side of central console and to the right of thr passenger seat then pops out to be plugged in
                @mike_lowsocial

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                  Will be installing a new one this weekend so will try and remember to take pics of the process.
                  Basically cable runs: Roof liner > A-Pillar > Into dash > Round handbrake to cigarette lighter adaptor. Here's some pics of the main things, should be able to work out the rest yourself. I start at the camera end because it's easier to run the cable down into the dash instead of up.

Camera goes here:

Cable tucks under roof liner then down A-Pillar:

Unclip trim left of glove box:

And under glove box (sorry for quality):
                  - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Hi there,

As others have said, left of rear view mirror where it's fairly straightforward running the cable along the headlining, down the A pillar and through the glove box.

I have front and back installed with all cables hidden, I installed a double cigarette power socket into the glove box where both are plugged in so no cables are seen at all. Really clean and I never have to bother about them, I leave them installed permanently with no issues. Just remove sd cards as and when I need some of the footage.
                    If in doubt, flat out!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrib View Post

I have front and back installed with all cables hidden, I installed a double cigarette power socket into the glove box where both are plugged in so no cables are seen at all. .
                      Hi Kingrib

How did you install a double cigarette power socket in the glove box? Is it wired directly to the fuse box?

Comment

Thanks for the pics Wenham!
                        My DS3R3... nearly....
                        New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Working...
                        X