Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate struts and demist button

Hi All,

I have only had my 2nd had 62 plate Dstyle a few weeks, but I need help on two questions?

I assume that when opening the tailgate, that the tailgate should rise on its own, not need me to push it up? Its under warranty, so no problem but do they all do this? Also, when I press the 'demist ' switch, the 'AC' icon appears on the heater display? is this automatic. Surely cold air won't clear the screen as fast? ( or am I wrong?)

Thanks for any help

Richard

Tailgate structs might need re-gassing. I'm assuming over time they loose some gas. The front screen demist uses the AC on full blast to clear the front screen. It's not like a Ford that might have embedded demist element in the actual window screen itself.

Comment

AC can be hot or cold, not just cold.
      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

The reason being that the AC also dehumidifies the air. That dry air helps clear the windscreen even faster.

The hatch needs new struts. Don't let them sell you a line that in winter the struts are not as strong and they will regain some strength when it gets warmer. Which is all true but they should still do the work whether it is summer or winter.
        Last edited by cyclone; 18-01-2016, 14:38.
        Originally posted by cyclone
        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
        Originally posted by Broda
        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

The tailgate struts are not intended to lift it, they are just there to balance the weight so that it's easier to open - if it sprung fully open unaided there would be the possibility of damage against an obstruction.

The owners handbook says:

"After unlocking the vehicle using the remote control or the key, pull the handle & raise the tailgate."

Comment

Well of coarse, I thought that was self evident, but even so after opening it about half way it should do the rest and then hold.

Comment

The struts don't raise the tailgate they just assist raising it and keep it in place. Auto and demist always switch the air conditioning on. A car with air conditioning will mist up quicker in damp conditions than one without if that air conditioning is not switched on. As posted earlier it works at all temperatures. If ever you drive along and find the car is misting up then the air con is off. Switch it on and the mist will clear rapidly.

Comment

The tailgate will take the load from around 3/4 of the way up, the tailgate does not lift on it's own as the struts are design to take the weight rather than assist.

The AC coming on is normal for the demist function as this aids in clearing the windscreen of the car by removing the moisture from the air.
                ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                Bigfeet's File Repository
                The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I guess I must have super charged gas struts. Now you all jealous :cool:

Comment

Working...
                  X