camshaft timing torsion value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camshaft timing torsion value

So, been having a dig around and think i may have the answer to my lumpy idel issue but just want a bit of feedback from you guys first.

Around 3 months ago i had new timing belts fitted under warentee as the original one was defective, at first the car was fine but now 1000 miles on it has a lumpy idle, could someone confirm this could be down to camshaft timing torsion
    value incorrect ????
    It should be around +-5 for rough timing but correct setting should be around +-2 for good idle, now i have no way of checking this but on another forum a garage mechcanic stated doing a test by turning on the aircon while in idle, if the
    idle improves it means the camshaft timing torsion value is out,
    well tried this this morning and low and behold when i turn on my aircon she idles beautifully, turn it off and the lumpyness comes back.
    Can someone confirm any of the above please, if so i will have yet another battle with my local Citroen dealer who did the cambelt swap over as im sure after some 1000 miles the timing will change due to streaching in the belt ????

Any help most apreciated.

Tez

P.S this is what has been said :

The PD engine run balanced and when the cambelts done, they get the torsion wrong.

The torsion timimg needs to be between +5 and -5 for it to run and +2 and -2 for it to run properly.

The easiest way to check this is when the its juddery, put the AC on and if it goes away or gets better, the torsion will be out.

You can check the torsion via vagcom too.

Had a look through the service manual. Seems the only way to know is by taking the engine apart...

check timing procedure:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...GtoZ1hZQnI3Q28

changing the chain:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...TdCRWV0RDdmZzA

... good luck.

Comment

I'm sure Czar will know.

Can I ask if running with the air on fixes the idle issue, why not just use the aircon all the time? Mine is on auto all the time and I never have an issue with it.
      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by tezb View Post
        So, been having a dig around and think i may have the answer to my lumpy idel issue but just want a bit of feedback from you guys first.

Around 3 months ago i had new timing belts fitted under warentee as the original one was defective, at first the car was fine but now 1000 miles on it has a lumpy idle, could someone confirm this could be down to camshaft timing torsion
        value incorrect ????
        It should be around +-5 for rough timing but correct setting should be around +-2 for good idle, now i have no way of checking this but on another forum a garage mechcanic stated doing a test by turning on the aircon while in idle, if the
        idle improves it means the camshaft timing torsion value is out,
        well tried this this morning and low and behold when i turn on my aircon she idles beautifully, turn it off and the lumpyness comes back.
        Can someone confirm any of the above please, if so i will have yet another battle with my local Citroen dealer who did the cambelt swap over as im sure after some 1000 miles the timing will change due to streaching in the belt ????

Any help most apreciated.

Tez

P.S this is what has been said :

The PD engine run balanced and when the cambelts done, they get the torsion wrong.

The torsion timimg needs to be between +5 and -5 for it to run and +2 and -2 for it to run properly.

The easiest way to check this is when the its juddery, put the AC on and if it goes away or gets better, the torsion will be out.

You can check the torsion via vagcom too.
        What you describe above, certainly is relatable to the camshaft torsion value being out of fine adjustment, it's all very well changing the timing belts, that gets the timing to within a starting and moderate idle, as i'm sure you are aware now, its the setting of the fine torsion timing adjustment, which needs further adjustment in your case, the belts do stretch and will require the resetting of the torsion value adjustment.

Originally posted by cameron20020 View Post
        Had a look through the service manual. Seems the only way to know is by taking the engine apart...

check timing procedure:
        https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...GtoZ1hZQnI3Q28

changing the chain:
        https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...TdCRWV0RDdmZzA

... good luck.
        What you have linked to, is for the THP, and in this case the wrong engine.
        Performance Powered By Thought
        Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Update : i have uploaded a short video of the sound of the engine sound, you can here the change in engine tone and here the the judder/miss and at 24 secs and 1.30 you can here a click which keeps happening.

Any ideas ???? EGR maybe ???

Any help, thanks

link ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjwwiBaF_6A

Yes if i turn Aircon on it settlesdown and is fine, all be it the revs go up a little which is normal.

Citroen in Romford did the belt change and i went there last week and told me i was talking crap about re-adjusting the timing, suppose i will have to go there again :-(
          Last edited by tezb; 15-07-2016, 17:09.

Comment

Having listened to your audible video clip, you most definitely need to return to Citroen Romford, and ask them to reset the torsion value to settle at a very steady idle, as for the click, the EGR flap when opening or closing, could produce such a metallic click, it's a little difficult to diagnose accurately from your audible video clip.
            Performance Powered By Thought
            Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Working...
            X