Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i use different tyres

Hi guys,

Got a slow puncture on the back drivers side and havingbit looked at on Sat to see if it can be repaired.

If it cant do i need to get the same tyre (currently Bridgestone Potenza on all 4) or will any premium tyre suffice?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I believe it's advised that you should have the same tyre on both wheels on the same axle (eg, I've got kumhos on both front wheels and michelins on the back wheels)
    Current: DS 3 Performance, Perla Nera Black with Sparkly Purple roof
    Previous: DS3 DStyle 120 VTi, Perla Nera Black with Fuchsia roof

Comment

I thought you might say that! I'll have to order a Potenza then and get them to fit it if i need a new one!

Comment

You can get away with different tyres on the same axle provided they have a similar tread pattern (i.e. match non-symmetric with non-symmetric).

Its not best practice though so I'd always go with the same tyres on an axle.

Comment

Its only a slow puncture so if it does need to be replaced and they dont have a potenza i'll just get one ordered off black circles

Comment

whatever the law is with tyres on same axle, (Cant remeber as it changed a few year back) it really is a good idea to have the same type and make on each axle
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

It used to be don't mix cross ply and radial on the same axle. I've never heard of not mixing different brands as long as they're the same type of tyre. I always used to mix brands and have never had a problem! Tyre places are happy to sell, and to fit, different brands (and so are the main dealers based on the recommendations they made for my hubby's Volvo when it needed one tyre) so I wouldn't let the brand be an issue personally. I'd also be keen to replace the Potenzas, one by one if necessary, because they're rubbish IMO.
              "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
              https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

Comment

Yes. Cross ply and radial a no-no still I thing, legally.
                My preference would be to have identical tyres each axle, as they should wear pretty evenly anyway
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Its going down quicker than i thought! Filled it to 35psi on Mon, its gone down to 14.5psi by this evening!

Comment

I'm not even sure they make cross ply tyres anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Markymark View Post
                      I'm not even sure they make cross ply tyres anymore

They do indeed still manufacture cross ply tyres, for the classic and vintage vehicles.

Mixing different radial tyre manufacturing brands on the same axle, could lead to you noticing a slight handling difference, eg, pulling to one side or the other, from when you had the same radial manufacturers tyres on the same axle, this is because, although the rim size fitment and profile are the same between differing radial tyre manufacturers, you need to make sure the overall rolling circumference is the same between the differing radial tyre manufacturer you choose.

If there is a differing rolling circumference, then this will alter the vehicles suspension geometry.
                      Performance Powered By Thought
                      Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Legally you can fit what you want as long as it fits legal requirement. However matching pairs is a good idea for consistency in handling.

Tbf there are plenty of cars running round with 4 different brands of budget tyre and they don't seem to crash at every turn however I'd not personally want to do an emergency lane change or braking maneuver in a car like that.
                        Crystal White pearl Mazda 3 Takuya 1.6
                        Whisper Purple/White DS3 Dstyle plus 1.6 e-Hdi

Comment

Right guys, took it in today and it does need a new tyre, it's got a small nail in the inside wall.

They can't get a Potenza in for a couple of weeks as their supplier is out of stock and I didn't want to go with another brand so said I'd order one from black circles for them to fit. Only question is, which one do I go for?! BC have 3 Potenza's that match mine; 205/45R17 88V

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	360603

Comment

I'd go for the £105.12 tyre. Lower noise rating, better wet rating and higher speed rating than the others.

Not sure why it's better though as the model number is the same as the others...
                            - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                            - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                              I'd go for the £105.12 tyre. Lower noise rating, better wet rating and higher speed rating than the others.

Not sure why it's better though as the model number is the same as the others...
                              I know, that's what was confusing me! Will get it ordered then. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X