Dash Cam & Cycle Carrier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash Cam & Cycle Carrier?

Forgive the rant but I drive a lot on motorways to and from work so I always encounter the odd terrible, idiotic driver but yesterday as I was driving home (on the motorway). I was on the outside lane behind a car that was quite frankly, going too slow for that lane and some car comes bombing up behind me so I pull into the middle lane but because of the slow car, he couldn't get passed. He then pulls in behind me again, I can't move into the inside lane as there was another car there (so at this point there's 3 cars in a row in all lanes). I try and slow down to pull into the left lane but he was so far up my arse it was unreal. So I had to undertake the slow car in the outside lane. He weaves his way through and few hand gestures were exchanged as he passes and then he swerves into my lane comes within a few inches and almost hitting the front of my car with the rear of his and almost runs me off the road as I quickly swerve to avoid him. He speeds off and continues to get up other peoples arse's flashing them as he does. At the end of the day, I should have moved over as I saw him speeding up and shouldn't have sworn at him but purposely swerving into another driver, during rush hour going at roughly 70mph is just ridiculously dangerous and stupid.
    tl;dr: angry driver purposely swerves into me during rush hour traffic on a motorway and speeds off

So, with this in mind I think it's time to get a dash cam so I was just wondering if anyone could recommend one
    I'm after one that ideally has both front and read facing cameras. Also, how would I go about plugging it into the engine to save on cable and wires running around my car to get to the cigarette lighter? Is this possible?

On another note, I'm also after a good bike rack. I already have this one which is great for short distances but I have a bit of a fear with it falling off on the motorway so I'm after one that's a bit more secure.

Sorry for the rant and thanks in advance for any tips!

loads of dash cam reviews online. i use an SJCam 4000 wifi (just a fake gopro) costs like £50 on amazon and works perfectly fine, and it's great footage.

I think we have a discount code on here somewhere for another company though.

the only way to really do front and back is to have one at front, one at back and then wire them in. Up to you if you hard wire or run to cigarette lighter. YOu just tuck the wire into the roof trim/hide under carpets.

If you've got a DS3 with a spoiler you can't use a rear mounted bike rack. I use http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike...-cycle-carrier with the Citroen transverse roof bars and it's absolutely fine for the motorway, just don't exceed 70mph
    @mike_lowsocial

Comment

For dash cams go to a website called Techmoan.
      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
      Bigfeet's File Repository
      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
        This. He has a YouTube channel too. Good reviews of loads of cameras, with footage too.
        - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
        - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
          yes - this is where i decided on the SJ4000 as an all round action cam and dashcam
          @mike_lowsocial

Comment

Thanks for the tips! How would I go about hard wiring into the car so I don't have to kep using the cigarette lighter? Also with the SJ4000, does the video loop record? So it doesn't take up memory or would it be a case of deleting the footage when the card is full?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Iron panda View Post
              Thanks for the tips! How would I go about hard wiring into the car so I don't have to kep using the cigarette lighter? Also with the SJ4000, does the video loop record? So it doesn't take up memory or would it be a case of deleting the footage when the card is full?

Thanks again!
              If you're not comfortable with car electronics I would suggest taking this to somebody to install for you.

If you are comfortable then you can get an ignition live from behind the cigarette lighter.
              cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Iron panda View Post

Thanks again!
                Yeah as liam says. I can't help you with electrics unfortunately.

yes the sj4000 has a 'dashcam mode' which loop records and does it in sections of whatever length you want too
                @mike_lowsocial

Comment

Working...
                X