Ds3 Dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ds3 Dilema

I guess this post is more of a compliment to the job Citroen did with the Ds3 but it is leaving me with a bit of a first world problem. My current Ds3 is approaching 4 years old with around 38500 on the clock and I should be looking into getting a new car at some point in the next 12 - 18 months. The problem is no car I look at seems to measure up well against the car I currently own, After having a look around the car web sites Here are some of my opinions on how some of these cars stack up against my Ds3

New Ds3 - I can't take to the facelift DS have given it.
    Seat Ibiza - too bland, and would need to spend a fortune on extras to get it up to a similar spec as Ds3.
    VW Golf - Too much money for not enough car. I like Golfs but they ask for way to much money for them.
    Audi A1 - See Golf
    Ford Fiesta - Horrible interior, there is a new version coming this year but will need to wait and see.
    Skoda Fabia - Would consider a VRS version as the current engines are a bit small but they don't have one.
    Kia Cee'd - Nice looking car, with a bland interior. GT is nice but would need to get 2nd hand due to the depreciation.
    VW Polo - Nice car, about the same size as the older Golf's now. Considering the GTI.
    Vauxhall Corsa - I like the Corsa, my last car was a Corsa and you can pick up a new VXR for about £15000 which is quite tempting.

Am I being to picky?

I cant find the Edit button but the Renault Clio is also a very nice looking car and the RS version is tempting.

Comment

Of those I'd go new DS, Polo, or Corsa. If you can stand looking like a boy racer with the latter

Or seeing your edit, the RS Clio, even if it is auto.
      ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
      Join the Facebook Group!
      Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Thanks, I'm usually tempted by the boy racer look to be honest . The post was more about how these cars stack up against the DS3, some of them measure up quite well but when you consider the money they ask for the Ds3 does quite well.

Comment

I still like my Audi S1 and the Golf R, I couldn't stretch the cash to a R though so went with the S1 and it makes me happy everytime I drive it
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BenS View Post
            Of those I'd go new DS, Polo, or Corsa. If you can stand looking like a boy racer with the latter

Or seeing your edit, the RS Clio, even if it is auto.
            I was seriously looking into a Clio RS, but I couldn't get over the autobox, so scratched it of my list. If there was a manual, it's highly likely I would have had one on order now.
            But Gatecrasher, if you don't have a problem with automatics, go for it!
            Last edited by FLP; 17-01-2017, 16:23.

Comment

Just bare in mind nobody actually likes Corsa drivers.
              Bwaaahhhhhh and Pshhttt erryday!

(Current) THP 155 Black & White. White Racing Decals (+2 bhp each)

(Past) E-HDI Airdream 115 Black. Orange Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)
              E-HDI Airdream 90 White & Black. Full Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)

Comment

Thing is about all the cars you detail Gatecrasher- have you actually driven all of them

Dont always just pay heed to media comments and the way a vehicle looks- economy, comfortable drive, cabin goodies, performance and what comes as standard
                You can get a car that looks drab and drives like a dream, and ones that look fab and couldnt beat a supermarket trolley

Have driven some which had dreadful write ups, and werent too bad, and vice versa

I went for the Golf R in the end, and its fab. But will probably drop back to a smaller, but still pokey (Pug 208/ DS3/ Clio 197) car later this year, early next.
                Have driven all i commented on btw :redface:
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                  Thing is about all the cars you detail Gatecrasher- have you actually driven all of them

Dont always just pay heed to media comments and the way a vehicle looks- economy, comfortable drive, cabin goodies, performance and what comes as standard
                  You can get a car that looks drab and drives like a dream, and ones that look fab and couldnt beat a supermarket trolley

Have driven some which had dreadful write ups, and werent too bad, and vice versa

I went for the Golf R in the end, and its fab. But will probably drop back to a smaller, but still pokey (Pug 208/ DS3/ Clio 197) car later this year, early next.
                  Have driven all i commented on btw :redface:
                  I haven't and I understand where you're coming from. I often find car reviewers to over exaggerate things in cars, I watched a review on the Polo GTi last night and the guy mentioned that the Polo was too refined compared to the ST. He was saying the diff takes the fun out of driving it, I mean yeah if I want to go around corners sideways that's a problem but I don't do that often on my morning commute .

I still like my DS3 but it will be time to move on shortly. I will need time to think all this through.

Comment

Get the test drives booked in - that's what I do when I'm planning a change, that way, as Chris said above, you can find the one that you actually like to drive
                    sigpic

Comment

I know this is a dull response, but worth checking how the vehicle road fund changes (road tax to you and I) will effect you on each of the cars you've listed. Eg those under the magic 100g/l (or whatever the unit is) eg C1 will if registered before March 2017 have £0 rad tax, come April 2017 £140. Same car, same emissions, goal posts changed.

The boring answer is assuming the car is yours (eg no finance due), you may well be better off financially keeping the car you've got and since you're not seeing anything that is truly floating your boat, stick with it put the money saved into a fund for when something does come along that makes the heart flutter

Best,
                      Andy

Comment

boooo, how dull!!

Comment

When we bought our DS3 in July 2010 the intention was to keep it for five years or so. Still got it, with no immediate plans to change, as I can't really see anything on the market that says "buy me". Maybe the next model DS3, whenever that comes out, although I have a feeling that the original DS3 was one of those "once in a lifetime" cars that's going to be a difficult act to follow & its replacement may well be something of an anticlimax.

Meanwhile, all the more money to spend on holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                            Get the test drives booked in - that's what I do when I'm planning a change, that way, as Chris said above, you can find the one that you actually like to drive
                            I don't usually go for a test drive unless I intend to buy, but it might be worth visiting a few showrooms.

Originally posted by Angel Boy View Post
                            I know this is a dull response, but worth checking how the vehicle road fund changes (road tax to you and I) will effect you on each of the cars you've listed. Eg those under the magic 100g/l (or whatever the unit is) eg C1 will if registered before March 2017 have £0 rad tax, come April 2017 £140. Same car, same emissions, goal posts changed.

The boring answer is assuming the car is yours (eg no finance due), you may well be better off financially keeping the car you've got and since you're not seeing anything that is truly floating your boat, stick with it put the money saved into a fund for when something does come along that makes the heart flutter

Best,
                            Andy
                            Yeah, the cars all mine, to be honest after a couple of weeks looking around you might be right. The new Fiesta is out soon as well so might be worth waiting to see what that's like.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                            When we bought our DS3 in July 2010 the intention was to keep it for five years or so. Still got it, with no immediate plans to change, as I can't really see anything on the market that says "buy me". Maybe the next model DS3, whenever that comes out, although I have a feeling that the original DS3 was one of those "once in a lifetime" cars that's going to be a difficult act to follow & its replacement may well be something of an anticlimax.

Meanwhile, all the more money to spend on holidays!
                            I fear this might be true, I'm so glad I took a punt on it.

Comment

I also have a sense that vast amounts of R+D monies across all manufacturers are being ploughed into electric cars. The lack of truly desirable cars might be a symptom of us being caught in that no man's land, transition phase between the two worlds.

Andy

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X