Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS3 vs 208 GTI

Hi,

I'm seriously considering purchasing a DS3 DSport either new or a few years old. I really like the look of it in particularly in white with a black roof.

The salesman I spoke to on the weekend sells both Citroen and Peugeot and asked why I wouldn't get a 208GTI as they're basically the same price new over here (Australia) but 30KW more powerful, and 2 years more warranty.

I prefer the look of the DS3 *a lot* more than the 208 but apart from that he made a good point.

So just asking you guys/girls, obviously DS3 lovers, why the DS3 is better than a 208GTI?

I understand they're the same engine (correct?). Why does the GTI produce so much more power? Is it really noticable? What if I did some basic mods (say cat-back exhaust and a retune)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Davo

They are the same engine block, but the GTi has a bigger turbo, same as the old DS3 Racing / new DS3 Performance, which has a much more focused top-end power band. Plus they have short ratio gearboxes to keep them in that power band, and an LSD.

The (petrol) DSport is also quite fantastic though as it produces max torque very early and keeps it flat until about 5000rpm. A remap and some simple mods like exhaust, premium fuel, and maybe an intake and you'll easily hit the 200bhp mark. At this point, a new intercooler is advisable though, as the stock one is pretty small and Australia is much hotter than over here!

And finally, the DS3 and 208 are basically the same chassis, same parts, different skin - so what makes it better is really what make of it i.e. looks and feel. Personally I thinks Pugs look a bit boring, and the GTi steering wheel looks and feels like a toy. Having been in both, the cabin in the DS3 just feels much nicer to me.

P.S. If you can afford the PeugeotSport variant, or a DS3R or a new Performance, then the bucket seats are lovely - I've stuck a pair in my car and they are so comfortable, even though the standard DS3 ones were pretty damn good too.
    ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
    Join the Facebook Group!
    Join the Discord Server!

Comment

The GTi engine is better to tune and more reliable engine (the engine is only to 80% the same).
      If you want a good comparison you need to compare the "DS3 Performance" with the "208 GTi by Peugeot Sport". They have the same engine, both have a LSD (recommended) and the way better seats.
      Citroën DS³ // THP 155 // Body Ruby Red // Roof Moondust
      DS³R Speedometer // 19" OEM Cairns // KW V3 Coilovers

Comment

In Australia I think the "hottest" DS3 we get is the DSport. I'm pretty sure there is no racing.

I didn't realise about the difference in the turbo, and LSD. The salesman told me it was just a better tune. But salesman... the reason I'm asking in a place like this.

I've also just realised if a get a GTI I can only get up to a MY14 as from MY15 they had an extra 5kw or so which runs them afoul of the P Plate restrictions over here. Basically 130kw/tonne. Think MY15 is about 130.5 and MY14 is 129.8. I'm not on P's LOL but my daughter will be soon and can't get her to pick me up from the pub if she can't drive the car

Think I need to do some test driving preferably back to back.

Comment

Sounds like a function or form choice. Love my Ds3, but the prices of the 208gti for a 13/14 model make it a fantastic bang for buck drive.

Or get a used ds3 and use the money saved to mod it!

And yeah, you are right that the Dsport is the top model that we get here.

Comment

GTI all day long

Comment

Then I would choose the 208 GTi :redface:
              Because the engine & co. is way better
              Citroën DS³ // THP 155 // Body Ruby Red // Roof Moondust
              DS³R Speedometer // 19" OEM Cairns // KW V3 Coilovers

Comment

True the GTi does have more gadgets as standard. But get the PeugeotSport one with the black & red paintjob!!
                Join the Facebook Group!
                Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Thanks to everyone who posted here. I think I'm now looking more towards the GTI. Saw one yesterday in the metallic orange and really liked it.

Some very good deals over here as well. It's actually working out cheaper than the DSport and with an 8 year factory warranty.

Comment

208 gti looks good to me
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

The PeugeotSport version is available in orange and has the better seats and more aggressive body trim parts
                      Join the Facebook Group!
                      Join the Discord Server!

Comment

I believe that's what this one is. Not the anniversary edition.

Comment

We don't have any special models here in Australia (other than the limited run Peugeot 30th Anniversary edition).

I have a 2011 DSport and and 2014 208 GTi. Performance-wise, the 208 is quicker car with better handling, however the DS3 looks better and has more compliant suspension.

The local importer has been dismal at selling cars, and we don't even have the current model DS3 (Performance or otherwise) and we never got the Racing in the previous version.

On the Peugeot front, we did get the facelift 208, but the current 208 GTi just has the uprated engine (153kW/300Nm) — no Torsen diff or 4 pot front brakes. It's definitely not a 208 GTi by Peugeot Sport!

I still drive both cars and I still like both, but I wouldn't buy a "new" DS3 unless it was significantly cheaper than a new 208 GTi. It's an old model that they just haven't sold, so should be much cheaper than a 208 GTi.

Regards,

Simon

2011 DS3 DSport, 2014 208 GTi.
                          Regards,

Simon

2011 DS3 DSport (Sport Red with Onyx Black Roof).
                          2014 208 GTi (Calado Blue).

Comment

That's in essence a summary of my thoughts.

Ended up with a really good deal on a 208GTI, for the same price as the DSport. Factor in an 8 year factory warranty it ended up an easy decision. Even though I prefer the look of the DSport.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X