Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test drove a DS3 120 VTI today

Hey everyone.
    I have just come back from test driving a 2012 red DS3 Dstyle 120 VTI.
    The car only has 44 000 KM on the odometer (I'm from Norway)
    But there was a small issue.
    It can just be my imagination, but when I cold started the car, I could hear this metallic grinding noise sort of sound coming from the engine.
    So my question is, Do the 120 VTI engines also have a timing chain or do they use a regular belt?
    When I opened the oil filler cap, this is how it looked like.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170320_115911.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	368396
    Does this mean that the car is on it's way out, or am I just imagining things?

Best Regards
    Lucas

My 120 had a timing chain fault. Not THE timing chain fault, but something that was associated.

She also sounded very rough and rattly, and used a LOT of oil. Not sure if what you heard is just 'normal'
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Thank you for the reply.
      It might have just been my imagination acting up, but it did sound quite rattly.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the oil filler cap. It's an oil/water emulsion, commonly called "mayonnaise", usually the result of the car being used for short runs in cold weather which means that the engine never really gets warm. A good long run, 20/30 miles or so, will cure it.

My 120VTi, which has done 43,000 miles, doesn't suffer from rattles on cold starts. Oil consumption is better than 1 litre/5,000 miles.

Comment

Working...
        X