Let's talk dash cams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk dash cams...

Let's face it we don't all have drives/garages or live in 100% crime free areas.
    I certainly don't!
    I'm after a dash cam for deterrent purposes if anything.
    Which do you have? Or recommend?
    If you have one, where is it mounted?
    So many questions as I have no idea where to start.

I'd like one for peace of mind.

Em

I have one set up behind the rear view mirror (passenger side), never had any cause to use it other than to share idiots with my friends though. It was just a cheap one from Amazon, it does the job but it's not great. Been thinking about getting a BlackView dual channel setup instead.
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Hey there,

I would definitely recommend a dashcam, I absolutely love my car and would be devastated if someone were to crash into it, especially if they then tried to push the blame onto me, or deny the accident all together.

I have a dashcam similar to what BeefMasta mentioned, a BlackVue duel channel dashcam, so it records both front and rear views. It's not at all difficult to setup, just requires a lot of fiddling about to get all the wires hidden and everything looking neat. These are quite expensive but boast some great features, I have a wifi dongle to provide me with internet while out and about and I use this to remotely view my dashcams feed on my phone, I occasionally do this if I am at a friends or have been forced to park somewhere I don't like just to give the car a check now and then, it also provides notifications to your phone if someone walks past or if someone hits your car so you can immediately run out to the situation. These features of course require a wifi hotspot though, although even without, the dashcam provides excellent recording quality and if your willing to spend some extra I have a battery pack which powers up the dashcam while I am parked, so if someone reverses into my car or bumps it while parked up in shopping car parks which is pretty common I have the footage of it, the batttery lasts about 9 hours which is more than my car is parked anywhere other than at home on the drive.

There are so many options available though depending on your needs and budget?

Comment

Thanks you guys for detailed responses.
        Budget is midrange and I mainly want it to cover the school runs when I leave my car! (Parents are cray cray!)
        So one with a battery and ability to run when I'm not around would be great.
        But as I said, for use as mainly a deterrent for vandalism and such as when I moved into my property my rear wiper of my old car was bent in half! ��

Comment

I mean my entire dashcam equipment, including polarizing lenses, batteries and hard wiring kits etc cost just over £500 which is of course quite expensive.

But you can spend a whole lot less if you just want your dashcam to record while driving of course and for an hour or so after parking with something like this..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dashboard-R...ash%2Bcam&th=1
          https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Black...ower+magic+pro

This would require a little wiring up to your vehicles fuse box which is located in the glove box, but this would record like normal in a fairly decent quality and also record while you are parked for a short period, although this would be a bit more visible on the front screen to people walking past so would recommend maybe tucking it in the glove box when your parked for a few days etc.

Comment

I've just bought a Nextbase 312gw as someone went into my car a few months ago when I wasn't around so if it ever happens again I want it on camera!

My question is are there any guides for hardwiring it into the DS3 and will it invalidate my warranty as I've just renewed it for another 12 months!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

You can piggy back on a connection in the fuse box and it shouldn't void the warranty as you're not splicing wires. I'm not sure which one but you can test with a multimeter to get a solid 12v.
              - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
              - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

I think I'll take it Halfords!

Comment

Just get the model with the polarizing lenses makes all the difference takes all the reflections away

Comment

Originally posted by Markymark View Post
                    Just get the model with the polarizing lenses makes all the difference takes all the reflections away

Or fit a lense to the one you have, you can buy them separately for some Nextbase units

Comment

Originally posted by Timberflake View Post
                      Or fit a lense to the one you have, you can buy them separately for some Nextbase units

Yes as i did for my black vue

Comment

I had the blackvue dual cameras in my DS3 can not fault them I've even using the newest blackvue cameras in the latest car expensive to start off but worth every penny in the long run

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps710a29cb.jpg
                        2011 car 2014 LOOKS ;; RETRO FITTED XENON FULL LED SIGNATURE AND DIM LIT DRL'S AT NIGHT OEM +. instagram #Markaucott

build thread My Transformer edition!
                        DS3 transformer edition taking on its most radical transformation into a BMW 320 i

Comment

Working...
                        X