No announcement yet.

How far can you overfill the fuel tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far can you overfill the fuel tank?

When filling my 110 hdi dsport from empty, (with no range left on the trip computer, I love playing petrol station roulette) the, pump always cuts off at around the 43L mark, but if you let the fizzing fuel settle for a few seconds & then go slow I have been able to get 52L into the tank at best but always more than 50L.
    Does anyone elses tank do this & what does this say about the quoted 48L tank capacity in the brochure?
    The most I have ever got out of a tankful was 658 miles with the fuel light coming on with 72 miles remaining (mind you I was on a mega economy drive being forced to use motorways)

Missing driving the car as I am stuck in Ireland fixing broken things while the car sulks in an airport carpark

What your doing is dangerous, you should never overfill your tank and the neck space is used to balance the pressure caused by the fuel tank. When you seal the cap there is no real way for the pressure to escape.

Think of it this way, shake up a bottle of coke and watch what happens, shake it enough and th bottle has no option but to split.
    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Lol booooooooom
      sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
      Third time around.
      Work in Progress

Comment

Stolen from Google:

Overfilling the fuel tank can result in you paying for more fuel that is fed back into the petrol station's tanks because your fuel tank is full. The petrol stations fuel nozzle is designed such a way that it will automatically clicks off when your fuel tank is full. Petrol stations are equipped with vapor recovery systems that feed back fuel vapors into their tanks to prevent vapors from escaping into the air and contributing to air pollution. Any additional fuel you try to pump into your tank may be drawn into the vapor line and fed back into the station’s storage tanks. So the Petrol stations owner are happy that fuel is fed back into their stations storage tanks but they're still charging you.

Also, the extra room in fuel tank is designed to allow the gas to expand properly. If the fuel tank is overfilled, the extra fuel may evaporate into your vehicle’s vapor collection system. That system may become fouled and will not work properly causing your car to run poorly.
        Last edited by x6411; 17-06-2011, 08:39.

Comment

Boooooom
          sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
          Third time around.
          Work in Progress

Comment

Sounds Like Overfilling = MILK...

Comment

I was told three clicks and you're out. In other words allow the cut-off to operate three times without withdrawing the nozzle.

Comment

Originally posted by Déesse trois View Post
                I was told three clicks and you're out. In other words allow the cut-off to operate three times without withdrawing the nozzle.
                Thats what your manual tells you
                Has Lexia Tool :o)

Comment

never really tried to put more in and im not going to now lol after reading that
                  Black and white E-HDI DS3

Originally posted by ZACK
                  Sorry Wools, Seems You Were Actually Right

Comment

I did the other week and ended up geting the AA out, for some strange reason it wouldnt let me put fuel in it, think i mentioned it on another thread. The AA was stumped as was the dealership, luckily it seemed to clear after a few days. I was doing 100 miles a day but still wouldnt let me put any fuel in, so to the OP dont bother messin about, not worth it.
                    Has Lexia Tool :o)

Comment

Working...
                    X